The Student Room Group

Low 2:2 in second year, can i get a 2:1 in third?

I feel like i’m going to get a Low 2:2 in my uni grade for second year as I have slacked massively due to health and personal issues.

The grades i received this year are :

High 2:2
Mid 2:2
Mid 2:1/Low 2:1Low 2:2Low 2:1and possibly a 3rd/Low 2:2? i’m not sure yet My uni counts 20% second year and 80% third year so will i be able to boost it up to a 2:1?
Reply 1
For anyone to work it out accurately, you'd need to give your percentage instead of your classification. Classification is a range, not an exact figure

Assuming your low second is 50%, to get a low 2:1 or 60% overall then in third year you'd need to get at least 63%. You'd even be able to get a low First or 70% if you get at least 75% in your third year.
So it's quite possible to get 2:1 overall for your degree
Reply 2
yes you can get a 2.1 but you need to re-assess your approach to study since more than a small tweak is needed to get you on the right course for a 2.1
Reply 3
Original post by EdwardsWK
For anyone to work it out accurately, you'd need to give your percentage instead of your classification. Classification is a range, not an exact figure

Assuming your low second is 50%, to get a low 2:1 or 60% overall then in third year you'd need to get at least 63%. You'd even be able to get a low First or 70% if you get at least 75% in your third year.
So it's quite possible to get 2:1 overall for your degree

how do i work out the percentage?
Original post by Anonymous
how do i work out the percentage?

List the actual marks for each module and how many credits each module is worth.

More generally, with 80% for third year you should be able to get a 2.1 overall with a solid 2.1 next year.
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
List the actual marks for each module and how many credits each module is worth.

More generally, with 80% for third year you should be able to get a 2.1 overall with a solid 2.1 next year.

So I have looked it up and found this? I am kind of confused about all of this? can this help me work out

If you are on a degree course on which your second year of studies (‘level 5’) contributes 20 per cent of your degree classification, then the number of qualifying credits is 140. Of these, 120 credits come from your year three studies, and 20 credits come from your overall grade for your year two studies.
To achieve an upper second you must have achieved either or both of the following:

more than 70 credits passed at an upper second standard (or higher)
a weighted mean of 9.5 or higher, with your year two performance weighted at 20 per cent and your year three performance weighted at 80 per cent.
So I have looked it up and found this? I am kind of confused about all of this? can this help me work out

If you are on a degree course on which your second year of studies (‘level 5’) contributes 20 per cent of your degree classification, then the number of qualifying credits is 140. Of these, 120 credits come from your year three studies, and 20 credits come from your overall grade for your year two studies.
To achieve an upper second you must have achieved either or both of the following:

more than 70 credits passed at an upper second standard (or higher)
a weighted mean of 9.5 or higher, with your year two performance weighted at 20 per cent and your year three performance weighted at 80 per cent.

Which university?
Reply 7
Nottingham Trent
Original post by ageshallnot
Which university?
Nottingham Trent

Ugh they're awkward because of the way they grade modules.

Haven't they got an alternative method of classification that relies solely on third year? In other words, get a 2.1 next year and you get a 2.1 overall?
Reply 9
I got a low 2:2 in second year, I studied hard in third year and got a 1st. It averaged out to a 2:1 overall, which I was happy with.
Reply 10
Original post by HankJimbo
I got a low 2:2 in second year, I studied hard in third year and got a 1st. It averaged out to a 2:1 overall, which I was happy with.

Wow, that's amazing. I'm going into third year with a similar situation and 2nd yr grade and need a high 2.1/low 1st to average a 2.1, any advice on what you did differently that year?
Original post by Yee123
Wow, that's amazing. I'm going into third year with a similar situation and 2nd yr grade and need a high 2.1/low 1st to average a 2.1, any advice on what you did differently that year?

Hi there

I think that it's worth having a chat with your tutor/lecturer any say where you're at and what you're aiming for. Then they can give you any appropriate advice. I hope that you meet your goals!

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending