The Student Room Group

Unsuccessful UCL PWP application

Hello everyone.

I’m extremely disappointed and depressed at the moment because my application for UCL low intensity CBT was unsuccessful, I’ve just received a notification today at 5am. Just as I woke up to get some water at night I checked my emails and got the news. Was unable to sleep since then because i was hoping that I will get it. I’m so disappointed and feel like a complete failure.

The worst thing is that I have all the qualifications, I have a 2.1 is psychology + a distinction in cognitive and clinical neuroscience MSc. Moreover, I have 4 years of experience working in social care. It was my dream to be a therapist and I made sure that I noted everything in my personal statement but still my application was not successful. Literally, when I was completing my application I went through the person specifications carefully and made sure I cover all the essential criteria, and I seemed to match the required perfectly.

I emailed PWP recruitment for feedback because honestly I don’t understand what I did wrong to even not get an interview 😭😭.

I’m just posting this to rant and see what you guys think about this. Please share any thoughts, it’ll make me feel a lot better about this situation. Thank you everyone.
Reply 1
Hey, I was in a similar position for Master's I applied for last year. When I emailed the School for feedback I found out I was 1 mark off the cut off for an interview. Wait for feedback before you condemn yourself as a failure!
Clearly, you are qualified and they reason you didn't get an interview is because unis get so many application they have to have a way to select just a small number of successful candidates from so many perfectly excellent applicants.

I am following the advice the school gave me and re-applying this year! It sucks I have to spend a year doing not what I want to do but I have no control over it. CBT is great but it takes time and practice, and having people tell you you're qualified is really helpful in not feeling like a failure.

All the best :smile:
Original post by waffel94r
Hello everyone.

I’m extremely disappointed and depressed at the moment because my application for UCL low intensity CBT was unsuccessful, I’ve just received a notification today at 5am. Just as I woke up to get some water at night I checked my emails and got the news. Was unable to sleep since then because i was hoping that I will get it. I’m so disappointed and feel like a complete failure.

The worst thing is that I have all the qualifications, I have a 2.1 is psychology + a distinction in cognitive and clinical neuroscience MSc. Moreover, I have 4 years of experience working in social care. It was my dream to be a therapist and I made sure that I noted everything in my personal statement but still my application was not successful. Literally, when I was completing my application I went through the person specifications carefully and made sure I cover all the essential criteria, and I seemed to match the required perfectly.

I emailed PWP recruitment for feedback because honestly I don’t understand what I did wrong to even not get an interview 😭😭.

I’m just posting this to rant and see what you guys think about this. Please share any thoughts, it’ll make me feel a lot better about this situation. Thank you everyone.

Hey just take a deep breath in and a big breath out, take a step back mentally.. and a few more after that... and a few more after them too. now just think? this unsuccessful endeavor may have opened a few more doors than you think.

that's all I've to say. I am a bit lazy.
Same happened to me - been rejected twice and I've trained as a counsellor and I was really upset about it. I did ask UCL for feedback but they either did not answer, or just kept telling me it was not normal to give individual feedback, then gave me a list of possible reasons - all of which did not apply to me as I have the qualifications and experience. I did a great supporting statement, followed the person spec to a tee but it didn't even get to interview. I feel your pain.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by waffel94r
Hello everyone.

Just replying to ask where you are now?! How did things pan out?!
Reply 5
Hi did you research the pwp role and iapt?
Psychology degrees are extremely common… masters as well… it’s amazing you have those qualifications but in the grand scheme of things is your masters even relevant to iapt? Would you not be better suited to research or clinical psychologist/ AP roles?

The application rate for pwps is very very high and they will favour people who already work within an iapt service in some capacity.
Remember it’s high case load high turnover it isn’t glamorous and it’s not for everyone the burnout rate is near 70% so they need to know you’ve been in that environment.
Also due to the role being so understaffed they need people who want to stay in the pwp role…

Im a trainee pwp in my last module… I was working in an iapt service.. I didn’t really know the pwp role fully but researched it before I applied and I think as I had a foot in the door and had worked with iapt case loads I was probably a safe bet

Just think… is this really what u want to do?
Reply 6
Original post by PseudoHero
Hi did you research the pwp role and iapt?
Psychology degrees are extremely common… masters as well… it’s amazing you have those qualifications but in the grand scheme of things is your masters even relevant to iapt? Would you not be better suited to research or clinical psychologist/ AP roles?

The application rate for pwps is very very high and they will favour people who already work within an iapt service in some capacity.
Remember it’s high case load high turnover it isn’t glamorous and it’s not for everyone the burnout rate is near 70% so they need to know you’ve been in that environment.
Also due to the role being so understaffed they need people who want to stay in the pwp role…

Im a trainee pwp in my last module… I was working in an iapt service.. I didn’t really know the pwp role fully but researched it before I applied and I think as I had a foot in the door and had worked with iapt case loads I was probably a safe bet

Just think… is this really what u want to do?

Hi, thanks so much for sharing this.
I remember reading about the 70% burnout rate, which has worried me.
Congrats on almost finishing. How has the training been so far? Do you have a social life?
Reply 7
It’s tough. Im not going to lie. Lots of people drop out or don’t want to do the role once they qualify. But many do. It’s interesting and it’s also rewarding but there’s targets to be met and services put workers under pressure to meet them or else funding is effected
The course itself I’ve been told by others in my cohort if you can do this course you do anything

I would just say to anyone applying… im sure you’re all highly intelligent with great skills but talking therapies - it’s like the fast food of mental health.

Can you demonstrate you’ve worked with a high caseload in mental health? Have you dealt with risk… how? Know the ABC cycle and iapt and the step care model.
How do you look after your well-being. Reflection is a huge thing
And if you don’t like role playing… this is the wrong course for you hahaa

Oh do I have a social life yes I also have another job as the trainee wage isn’t great
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending