The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-level Mathematics Paper 1 [6th June 2023] Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

For question 10) , am i bugging out or do i remember right that it was in radians. The mark scheme says 'H = 29cos(9t + 180) + 31' but i wrote 'H = 29cos(9t + pi) + 31'. if not how many marks would i lose
Reply 81
What would 45 be?
Reply 82
Original post by mathshnj
how did you guys solve the phone question? what was the initial value

Original post by mon2419
if so many people got full marks would 82 actually be a definite a*

even if this was an easier paper, maths boundaries are relatively stable + if u check the gov site it says theyll be a little lenient with boundaries this year, that should defo be an A*
but of course you would need a decent performance in the other two papers, and pure 2 will definitely be harder to offset this paper

i think boundaries would be around 2019 levels (precovid), it would be unlikely to go as high as 2018 (i think thats the highest boundaries out of all the years)
2018 was 229 combined, so about 77 per paper, in which case an A* would need all round good performance
2019 was 217 combined, so 73 per paper which gives you more leeway
Reply 84
Original post by Greatdogs2005
what did you write for the 15 d function?

This is the one thing I’m not too sure on with respect to what other people have said on here. I used the f’(x) function we derived in part a). And got 1.50…. (Forgot the rest of the decimals).
Reply 85
Original post by Rocketsp
This is the one thing I’m not too sure on with respect to what other people have said on here. I used the f’(x) function we derived in part a). And got 1.50…. (Forgot the rest of the decimals).

I’m also wondering for part e).
Did anyone else not get what’s in the mark scheme? I did a interval test where I plugged in 0.4315 and 0.4325 and then saw if there was a change of sign. (There was). Could just be misremembering tho.
Reply 86
Original post by mon2419
if so many people got full marks would 82 actually be a definite a*

It’s not so many people it’s just a few on the student room, it hasn’t been higher than 76% for an A* and doubt this will change
For the last part where it said to state a function and an interval I set the new function to f prime x then used the interval 0.3415 and 0.3425 and the sign changed and the function was continuous so alpha was 0.432 to 3 decimal places I think

I’m also wondering for part e).
Did anyone else not get what’s in the mark scheme? I did a interval test where I plugged in 0.4315 and 0.4325 and then saw if there was a change of sign. (There was). Could just be misremembering tho.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 89
anyone remember how they did the stage question and the values used?
Original post by zoggy101
anyone remember how they did the stage question and the values used?

area of the sector using the formula with the angle as 2.3 rads and radius 12 gives 165.6, then the two congruent triangles had lengths 7.5 and 15.7 with the angle between them 0.4... ,then use 1/2absinc then double that to give 24.0496 then + 165.6 gives 214 to nearest integer
guys i did the differentiation by first principles question, i did the question right but forgot to include the limits for each step would i get zero marks :frown:
Reply 92
Original post by exclusiv360
guys i did the differentiation by first principles question, i did the question right but forgot to include the limits for each step would i get zero marks :frown:

i think you’ll be fine, what’s up for debate is just the final mark where you have to have a valid conclusion by using the statements given to you.
the other marks are from using sin(A+B) and factorising out (sinh/h) and (cosh-1/h) and also just getting the idea of f(x+h) from what i can see in other mark schemes, but obviously i’m not an examiner so i can’t say for certain. just don’t worry about it now and revise for any future exams you have since they’re more important! good luck
Reply 93
Do not wanna disappoint you but probably not. Last year it was 55% but the paper was quite hard. This paper was quite easy, I reckon boundaries will be about 63% to get an A. Sorry

Original post by B7861
guys I think I got around mid 50 marks, do you think this could be an A
Original post by flabman
i think you’ll be fine, what’s up for debate is just the final mark where you have to have a valid conclusion by using the statements given to you.
the other marks are from using sin(A+B) and factorising out (sinh/h) and (cosh-1/h) and also just getting the idea of f(x+h) from what i can see in other mark schemes, but obviously i’m not an examiner so i can’t say for certain. just don’t worry about it now and revise for any future exams you have since they’re more important! good luck

if I wrote lim h-->0 on every line, and repeated the assumptions they gave as throughotu the question, but didn't write out in full on the last line "As h-->0...", do you think I'll get 5/5?

I just wrote dy/dx = cos on the last line.
Reply 95
Original post by B7861
guys I think I got around mid 50 marks, do you think this could be an A

In past years an A has been around 55%, if you do similar on papers 2 and 3 I'd say you're sorted
Original post by louismarshall
For question 10) , am i bugging out or do i remember right that it was in radians. The mark scheme says 'H = 29cos(9t + 180) + 31' but i wrote 'H = 29cos(9t + pi) + 31'. if not how many marks would i lose

It was definitely in degrees, sorry
not overall but maybe for this particular paper...pure 2 will be harder surely
Original post by George Gande
For the question where it said solve for f(x) ALGEBRAICALLY, did you have to show how you found the solutions using the quadratic formula? Because I rushed and just put the equation into my calculator to get the solutions (although I got the answer right).

Also does anyone think there's a chance of an a* being above 80%?
For the series one does anyone reckon follow through marks will be available for wrong values of k?
Reply 99

Same, i got 1.50 aswell, have you managed to clarify which answer is right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending