The Student Room Group

Is the UK job market really saturated?

Just for context, I have vast experience in my field (Sports Development), and just graduated with a 1st class degree in Sport Studies at a reputable sporting university.

I have applied for about 80-100 jobs in the past month - really in-depth applications and only had 3 interviews, two of which I have had to prepare relatively time-consuming presentations for.

I don't think I am the problem; I have six years of higher education in this area with this highest possible grades/outcomes. My presentations have been relatively strong and well researched.

The depressing thing is, these jobs are paying about 20-26k, I'm not expecting anything lucrative. The majority of the applications are just point blank rejected without any form of feedback.
Reply 1
Yes, it's slowed down recently.
Also tens of thousands are graduating from uni up and down the country this month and looking for jobs.
Original post by shine_on67
Just for context, I have vast experience in my field (Sports Development), and just graduated with a 1st class degree in Sport Studies at a reputable sporting university.

I have applied for about 80-100 jobs in the past month - really in-depth applications and only had 3 interviews, two of which I have had to prepare relatively time-consuming presentations for.

I don't think I am the problem; I have six years of higher education in this area with this highest possible grades/outcomes. My presentations have been relatively strong and well researched.

The depressing thing is, these jobs are paying about 20-26k, I'm not expecting anything lucrative. The majority of the applications are just point blank rejected without any form of feedback.

It's normal to feel like that after graduating from university.
The reality of the problem is, there are so many graduates out there looking for jobs, thus making the job market more competitive and in turn causing competition in the market to become more fierce.
Furthermore, employers expect you to have a lot of things and also to sell yourself at the interview - it is almost like trying to sell your soul...
In terms of the salary, you'll get that everywhere in the country, and with the cost of living increasingly worsening, it's not really worth working anymore because in this country you are obliged to pay tax and National Insurance.

I don't think it's solely down to the individuals, there are many factors why people don't get the jobs they are experienced and qualified for, and like I said competition is fierce and you have to do literally everything to make yourself stand out from the crowd.

Reply 3
How did you prepare 80- 100 strong applications in a month?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending