The Student Room Group

Psychology

Do you think a psychology degree is worth it?
Reply 1
Currently in first year of Psychology and I adore it so far! If your career is in the field of psychology (clinical, forensic, developmental etc) then it is for sure worth it, but it's also good for things like HR, marketing etc! It really depends on what you want from it at the end.
Reply 2
Original post by IMEirinn
Currently in first year of Psychology and I adore it so far! If your career is in the field of psychology (clinical, forensic, developmental etc) then it is for sure worth it, but it's also good for things like HR, marketing etc! It really depends on what you want from it at the end.

Is it bad that I don't know what I would like to do by the end .I just do it at a level and I like it and I planned to do it initially do it at uni but changed my mind because everyone told me that its not that useful but I cannot find anything else I would like doing
Reply 3
Original post by GeneSom
Is it bad that I don't know what I would like to do by the end .I just do it at a level and I like it and I planned to do it initially do it at uni but changed my mind because everyone told me that its not that useful but I cannot find anything else I would like doing

If you like it and there isn't another degree you can see yourself doing then go for it. You could also take a gap year to try and figure everything out if you aren't ready to make that decision just yet. Talk to any careers staff in your school about it and even talk to other psychology students, maybe see if there's any in their final year who can offer more opinions.
Reply 4
Original post by GeneSom

It is if you want a career in psychology! A psychology degree can be helpful for going into careers in HR, mental health, or research as well. If you're unsure what you want to do, why not wait to figure it out?
Original post by GeneSom

Hey!

I agree with the advice above that if you want to do it, you should! I've done both undergrad and master's in psychology and have met people who've gone into so many different careers!

Psychology gives you a load of applicable skills to a range of jobs, it's actually one of the most versatile degrees you can do, especially if you don't have an end career in mind!

Here's just some of the skills you gain from a psychology degree:
- Research skills (both quantitative & qualitative)
- Data analysis
- Prioritisation of tasks & time management
- IT literacy
- Critical thinking
- Problem-solving
- Written communication skills (from essays)
- Interpersonal skills
- Abstract reasoning
- Leadership & teamwork from group projects

I'm personally going into further research with a PhD, but know people who've gone into clinical/forensic settings, as well as HR and business roles or graduate schemes.

Best of luck with everything!
Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (PhD Psychology)
Original post by GeneSom

@GeneSom

It is, depending on what you define as 'worth'

Certainly a social sciences degree of any sort can be a really rewarding experience, I did a BA Hons in Sociology and then an MSc in Psychology.

It must be said that the employment market is saturated with people with psychology degree's, because you need doctorate level study to become a qualified Education or Clinical Psychologist in the UK, which could be as much as seven years study, and the opportunities for to do that are quite small compared to degree intake.

If you are considering psychology I would definitely have an action plan of what you want to do WITH your degree, it might be teaching, social work, local government, and also psychology graduates are very attractive to the private sector with many going into middle management training programs which actually pay pretty good

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by GeneSom

Hi! A psychology degree gives you a lot of transferrable skills, which can open up opportunities in almost every sector. This makes it an incredibly useful degree. It is of course a great option if you want to go into any psychology related career, such as therapy, mental health work, research, etc. It can also give you access to other positions such as HR, management, advertising, data analysis, teaching, business, and some jobs in healthcare. With a psychology undergraduate degree, you can apply for MScs or PhDs within the psychology field or in adjacent fields such as data analysis or security.
Of course, when choosing any degree it is important to consider whether its something you enjoy and can see yourself doing for the next 3-4 years. There is no point doing a degree that you hate!
Best of luck with all your decisions.
-Kat (2nd year psychology student, Lancaster University)

Quick Reply

Latest