The Student Room Group

Sociology or Psychology

HI,
I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry and Sociology A-level. However I recently read that Psychology is more recognized by Universities and I want to be on the safer side. I enjoy studying Sociology as its a subject I studied right from high school but I'm also afraid switching to Psychology may be extra work load as I'm already studying Chemistry and Biology. Do you think I should stick to Sociology to be on a safe side or switch to Psychology as it is more recognized by Universities.
Any advice will be appreciated
Original post by jadah_123
HI,
I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry and Sociology A-level. However I recently read that Psychology is more recognized by Universities and I want to be on the safer side. I enjoy studying Sociology as its a subject I studied right from high school but I'm also afraid switching to Psychology may be extra work load as I'm already studying Chemistry and Biology. Do you think I should stick to Sociology to be on a safe side or switch to Psychology as it is more recognized by Universities.

Sociology is accepted and valued by unis as much as psychology. Stick with the subject you enjoy as you're more likely to get a good grade, which is what counts.
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
Sociology is accepted and valued by unis as much as psychology. Stick with the subject you enjoy as you're more likely to get a good grade, which is what counts.

Thank you for your response.
Original post by jadah_123
HI,

@jadah_123 Hello! I have a degree in one and an MSc in the other.

What I would say is that I enjoyed Sociology a lot more, and a thing to bare in mind is that to be a qualified Psychologist, be it Clinical or Educational in the UK you need to have completed doctorate level study - for some people that will be seven years at Uni (if you do the masters sandwiched in the middle). The employment market is saturated with psychology grads who found that climb a little too steep - and costly.

Sociology opens you up to teaching, social work, local government, a whole host of jobs. I would do the one you feel like you are best at

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by Arden University
@jadah_123 Hello! I have a degree in one and an MSc in the other.

What I would say is that I enjoyed Sociology a lot more, and a thing to bare in mind is that to be a qualified Psychologist, be it Clinical or Educational in the UK you need to have completed doctorate level study - for some people that will be seven years at Uni (if you do the masters sandwiched in the middle). The employment market is saturated with psychology grads who found that climb a little too steep - and costly.

Sociology opens you up to teaching, social work, local government, a whole host of jobs. I would do the one you feel like you are best at

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

OP isn’t asking for advice on degree subjects. They’re asking about A level subject choices (and received an excellent reply 2 weeks ago)
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest