The Student Room Group

Extenuating Circumstances Degree Classification

Hi There,

Need advice please for my bf.

My bf thinks his got a high 2:2 but he has had a death in the family and extenuating circumstances during the year.

Does anyone know whether this would be taken into consideration and potentially award him a higher degree classification when they ratify the marks or would he be allowed to resit?

Please can someone help I don't know who to turn to, he's been having panic attacks and struggling with his mental health.
Reply 1
After the fact, it is extremely unlikely. The University almost always state that MCs should be submitted at the time when the event affecting studies occurs. It is incredibly difficult to get retrospective MCs accepted, especially in a final year when it potentially affects whole-degree classification. THings are a little freer with resits, but again, in terms of retrospective MCs the odds are still quite long.

If there are prior MCs, then these have already been applied and should in theory have no further role in terms of grading and thus in terms of classification. It'd need to be a new claim.

At my place we are (only just) still in the assessment period. Your boyfriend needs to speak to the MC team/student support/personal tutor/AA as a matter of priority if there is even the slightest sniff of mitigation being granted. The odds are not in his favour, but that doesn't mean that he ought not seek counsel about it.
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
After the fact, it is extremely unlikely. The University almost always state that MCs should be submitted at the time when the event affecting studies occurs. It is incredibly difficult to get retrospective MCs accepted, especially in a final year when it potentially affects whole-degree classification. THings are a little freer with resits, but again, in terms of retrospective MCs the odds are still quite long.

If there are prior MCs, then these have already been applied and should in theory have no further role in terms of grading and thus in terms of classification. It'd need to be a new claim.

At my place we are (only just) still in the assessment period. Your boyfriend needs to speak to the MC team/student support/personal tutor/AA as a matter of priority if there is even the slightest sniff of mitigation being granted. The odds are not in his favour, but that doesn't mean that he ought not seek counsel about it

They said he could submit ECs before the exam board ratify the marks because its retrospective and unforeseen.
Reply 3
Original post by RoadmanSachs
They said he could submit ECs before the exam board ratify the marks because its retrospective and unforeseen.

Then he has a fighting chance, but beyond that, nobody here can really say more. My fingers are crossed for him.
Reply 4
Thank you so much for your kind words.
Reply 5
Hi I just wanted to provide an update for those seeing this.

He submitted his extenuating circumstances and was able to get some first sits which bumped up his grades and he managed to achieve a 2:1.

I think if he didn’t achieve a 2:1 and as he was already close to the grade boundary I think they would have bumped him up because of what happened to him during his final year.

I’d you’re reading and know in your heart that you can do better and achieve a higher grade do it and don’t give up.
Reply 6
Original post by RoadmanSachs
Hi I just wanted to provide an update for those seeing this.

He submitted his extenuating circumstances and was able to get some first sits which bumped up his grades and he managed to achieve a 2:1.

I think if he didn’t achieve a 2:1 and as he was already close to the grade boundary I think they would have bumped him up because of what happened to him during his final year.

I’d you’re reading and know in your heart that you can do better and achieve a higher grade do it and don’t give up.

This is the best possible outcome and I am very pleased to read about it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending