The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Degree Classification Mistake

Hello - am hoping for some advice.

Today I got my results for my master's degree and it came to be a 2:1. I was a bit bummed about this but was on the path to accepting it until I asked my tutor what my overall average was.

The uni calculated my average to be 64, but I calculated it to be 69. My personal tutor said he got a higher number too (though he wouldn't tell me what he got incase he was wrong).

With my value I'd be in the boundary for potentially upgrading to a first. I got 20 credits at a first in second year, 30 in third year and 90 in my final year with a weighting of 10:40:50. This gives me 59 credits at a first (I think) which is almost the 60 credit points required for an upgrade - just one credit point away.

I have loads of mitigating circumstances, which I think might persuade them to round up the extra credit point. The only question is - how likely is it that they made a mistake with my average? Would they round up the extra credit point? Basically I'd just like to know what my chances are - I feel my calculation for my average is right (i did engineering, so it better be) but I'm still doubtful.
Original post by jaffacakee
Hello - am hoping for some advice.

Today I got my results for my master's degree and it came to be a 2:1. I was a bit bummed about this but was on the path to accepting it until I asked my tutor what my overall average was.

The uni calculated my average to be 64, but I calculated it to be 69. My personal tutor said he got a higher number too (though he wouldn't tell me what he got incase he was wrong).

With my value I'd be in the boundary for potentially upgrading to a first. I got 20 credits at a first in second year, 30 in third year and 90 in my final year with a weighting of 10:40:50. This gives me 59 credits at a first (I think) which is almost the 60 credit points required for an upgrade - just one credit point away.

I have loads of mitigating circumstances, which I think might persuade them to round up the extra credit point. The only question is - how likely is it that they made a mistake with my average? Would they round up the extra credit point? Basically I'd just like to know what my chances are - I feel my calculation for my average is right (i did engineering, so it better be) but I'm still doubtful.

Rather than them (or you!) having made a simple arithmetic error, it's much more likely that the rules aren't quite what you think they are.

Have you looked up exactly how your degree classification is calculated in the university's academic regulations? Many unis have wired and wonderful rules buried in there
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Rather than them (or you!) having made a simple arithmetic error, it's much more likely that the rules aren't quite what you think they are.

Have you looked up exactly how your degree classification is calculated in the university's academic regulations? Many unis have wired and wonderful rules buried in there

Bristol has a pdf document with worked examples so I followed that. My tutor followed the same thing and got a higher percentage too. The secondary rule also had a worked example, that's why I was sure(ish), since i basically copied that. I just thought I'd post an update for those who might be in a similar situation.

My tutor emailed the faculty office on Sept 12th, when I got my results, and I heard back today. They upgraded my degree to first class degree and apologized! My average was 69 - there had been an error with calculating my third year grade as I split it over three years. The total number of weighted credits by year was more than half, so the secondary rule applied. As they initially calculated my average at 64, they didn't apply the secondary rule initially.

I didn't need extenuating circumstances either, they just upgraded it without me having to file an appeal or anything. I'm just glad I was right - would be very embarassing if I'd finished my masters but calculated my grade wrong lol
Original post by jaffacakee
Bristol has a pdf document with worked examples so I followed that. My tutor followed the same thing and got a higher percentage too. The secondary rule also had a worked example, that's why I was sure(ish), since i basically copied that. I just thought I'd post an update for those who might be in a similar situation.

My tutor emailed the faculty office on Sept 12th, when I got my results, and I heard back today. They upgraded my degree to first class degree and apologized! My average was 69 - there had been an error with calculating my third year grade as I split it over three years. The total number of weighted credits by year was more than half, so the secondary rule applied. As they initially calculated my average at 64, they didn't apply the secondary rule initially.

I didn't need extenuating circumstances either, they just upgraded it without me having to file an appeal or anything. I'm just glad I was right - would be very embarassing if I'd finished my masters but calculated my grade wrong lol

That's fantastic news! Thanks for posting the update. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending