The Student Room Group

Should I take A-Level Music?

Is it worth it? Would I be able to get an A/A*? (as that's what I need for my uni course)

Background info:
- I'm predicted an A* at GCSE, although I do find it challenging at times
- I take drumming (Grade 6) and singing (Grade 5) lessons
- Exam board is WJEC
- I really enjoy the performing and composing elements but am worried about theory
Hey! I am a year 13 student about to take my Edexcel Music a level exam on Monday.
In my opinion, Music A level is a very difficult a level. There's a lot to learn, a lot more than in GCSE. The composition must be a little more complex, but I find this actually comes more naturally after you've done GCSE. There is a lot of content to learn and essays are very difficult to score highly on, as well as there being a large amount of info you need to learn that isn't in the book as you need to link every point to wider listenings (other pieces of music that share the same point you're making).

The good thing to remember is that everyone else finds the written exam hard too and that means the grade boundaries will be lower so don't let that affect your confidence. Last year, two people I know got A and A* and they scored less than 15 marks on the 30 mark essay.

This is the Edexcel paper that I'm referring to. Looking at the past papers for WJEC exam board shows that their exam paper is relatively different so take a look at those.
I'd recommend doing grade 5 theory ABRSM but it's not necessary.
Being predicted an A* at GCSE is great! - that shows you should be capable of doing really well at A level as long as you continue working hard :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous0305
Hey! I am a year 13 student about to take my Edexcel Music a level exam on Monday.
In my opinion, Music A level is a very difficult a level. There's a lot to learn, a lot more than in GCSE. The composition must be a little more complex, but I find this actually comes more naturally after you've done GCSE. There is a lot of content to learn and essays are very difficult to score highly on, as well as there being a large amount of info you need to learn that isn't in the book as you need to link every point to wider listenings (other pieces of music that share the same point you're making).

The good thing to remember is that everyone else finds the written exam hard too and that means the grade boundaries will be lower so don't let that affect your confidence. Last year, two people I know got A and A* and they scored less than 15 marks on the 30 mark essay.

This is the Edexcel paper that I'm referring to. Looking at the past papers for WJEC exam board shows that their exam paper is relatively different so take a look at those.
I'd recommend doing grade 5 theory ABRSM but it's not necessary.
Being predicted an A* at GCSE is great! - that shows you should be capable of doing really well at A level as long as you continue working hard :smile:

Thank you so much for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending