The Student Room Group

Best 4th A level to go with maths,further maths and economics?

I’d really like to study economics at LSE ideally but anywhere is fine and am currently enrolled for maths,economics further maths and accounting. I was hoping that because accounting is a fourth and the other three are hard as well as economics being essay based I should be fine?
Or would it count against me that of any 4th a level I didn’t choose one that broadened my interests ? I genuinely have an interest in accounting which I can’t say for other traditional essay subjects and I’m already doing three hard subjects.
So would it be worth the effort of changing accounting to history/law/music which I still kind of like , after enrolment or will the fact I’m doing three core traditional a levels be enough as long as I don’t let a soft fourth affect my grades ?
Reply 1
You need to pick a fourth A Level you really want to do. Not to discourage you, but I did four and it was hard and I would only recommend doing it if you really need to. I did Biology, Maths, Chemistry and Music (and music is a hell of a lot harder than people think). Having a fourth that was different only helped me because I was applying for veterinary and zoology, which require you to be able to separate home and work life and they analyse your personality quite closely for that. Having a separate fourth a level isn’t necessary (only a few people actually take that many) if you are able to provide evidence of other interests in your personal statement, like clubs etc. They mostly like to see a wide range of interests to make sure you wont sacrifice your wellbeing to bury yourself in work. So, if you are going to choose four, pick four you will enjoy and that won’t be too much work. A Levels should be enjoyable, not just a step to what’s next!
Reply 2
Original post by 16hdennis
You need to pick a fourth A Level you really want to do. Not to discourage you, but I did four and it was hard and I would only recommend doing it if you really need to. I did Biology, Maths, Chemistry and Music (and music is a hell of a lot harder than people think). Having a fourth that was different only helped me because I was applying for veterinary and zoology, which require you to be able to separate home and work life and they analyse your personality quite closely for that. Having a separate fourth a level isn’t necessary (only a few people actually take that many) if you are able to provide evidence of other interests in your personal statement, like clubs etc. They mostly like to see a wide range of interests to make sure you wont sacrifice your wellbeing to bury yourself in work. So, if you are going to choose four, pick four you will enjoy and that won’t be too much work. A Levels should be enjoyable, not just a step to what’s next!

I have a genuine interest in accounting just thought it was a bit of a soft subject . Also maybe it helps I’m gonna do grade 8 theory and performance (piano)in the next couple years
Reply 3
Original post by Peach_rose34
I have a genuine interest in accounting just thought it was a bit of a soft subject . Also maybe it helps I’m gonna do grade 8 theory and performance (piano)in the next couple years

No subject is a ‘soft subject’ if you care about it and are capable of doing well in it. Grade 8 theory and performance will really help (i did my theory and violin performance and also played a few other instruments as well and they loved it!)

Quick Reply

Latest