The Student Room Group

music vs dt gcse

Which subject should I take; music or dt GCSE?

I am currently doing grade 5 piano and grade 4 violin, however, I also enjoy design and technology (product design). I have heard dt GCSE is very stressful and time-consuming but also heard that music is also very difficult. I am confused about which to choose because I like them both...
(edited 2 years ago)
I would go for music if you're aiming for top scores since you already know how to play it to a sufficient level.
But if you enjoy product design and are good at it then there's no reason you won't do well and you should go for it, although I must say it is very time-consuming.
i tried both dt and music GCSE (ended up dropping both tho for sciences) dt is quite difficult in my opinion and you would only really find it fun if you were really into design. not all of dt was practical work and there is a lot of research work to do and some essays. though when we did have pratical work it was quite enjoyable. music was more fun in my opinion and a bit easier, especially if you have prior knowledge of music. i could be a bit more creative in music although sometimes it was boring. the homework wasn't too hard either. it depends on what you are looking to continue on into a level and uni aswell. i think if you have prior knowledge of music you are better off doing that since (from my memory) part of the GCSE is to do a live preformance, so you'd get those marks easy. and i assume you know how to read music aswell. ultimately its up to what you think you would enjoy the most
(edited 2 years ago)
I am taking German, history, geography, and computer science as well so I am not exactly sure which subject would complement those best.
Original post by charlie's_devil
I am taking German, history, geography, and computer science as well so I am not exactly sure which subject would complement those best.

i mean dt would most likely make sense with computing but i would not recommend taking them together. there also isnt a lot of ovelap in topics with these subjects since they are all very different
Is dt more useful than music for medicine or engineering?
Also, is music a more respected GCSE?
Also is taking music and dt too much coursework, because I am also considering doing both...
Is dt more useful than music for medicine or engineering?
Also, is music a more respected GCSE?

Also is taking music and dt too much coursework, because I am also considering doing both...

if your doing medicine it dosent really matter which you pick as long as you know you can get an A in it. and i think engineering would preferee dt but it wont be a required subject. in terms of which one is more desired it dosent really matter to uni's what gcse's you do as long as you passed english and math and in medicine have done well in all the sciences. you could check gcse entry requierments for different courses if you want an idea of what gcse's you have to do.
in terms of grades which subject is easier to score higher in?
in terms of grades which subject is easier to score higher in?

The subject you enjoy more and are already good at

A lot of people do both GCSEs as it cuts down the focus on final exams at the end of Year 11. Please choose subjects you enjoy and don;t be swayed by teaching 'inisisting' you do things you do';t enjoy.
I took music in the end and I would recommend taking music to anyone who is unsure. The performing section is an easy 30% and in general, it is a relaxing subject.

Quick Reply

Latest