The Student Room Group

Double Deduction can happen??

I have to pay tuition fees 3650GBP and I paid via flywire on 29th of May and it was 6288.04 in SGD equals to 3649.98GBP. Then on 3rd of june, my school deducted from my debit card 6361.75SGD equals to 3649.98 automatically. when i called my school to get my refund, they said they will transfer me back 3649.98GBP but they don't know how many will i get back in SGD. there is a gap about 100 dollars in SGD. in that case can i request to get back the exact same amount of what they falsely deducted?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by May_____
I have to pay tuition fees 3650GBP and I paid via flywire on 29th of May and it was 6288.04 in SGD equals to 3649.98GBP. Then on 3rd of june, my school deducted from my debit card 6361.75SGD equals to 3649.98 automatically. when i called my school to get my refund, they said they will transfer me back 3649.98GBP but they don't know how many will i get back in SGD. there is a gap about 100 dollars in SGD. in that case can i request to get back the exact same amount of what they falsely deducted?

You'll need to check back in any documents you received from your school to see what the arrangements were for making the payments. If you'd already agreed that the school could take the tuition fee payment from your debit card, and then you made the flywire payment, then I'd argue that this was your mistake -- you made the payment that was in error -- and that there's no reason why the school should reimburse the loss.

If you can show that the additional payment was made due to some administrative error by the school -- for example, they told you that they would not take payment via the debit card, but did so anyway -- then you might have an arguable case. But the school might argue that they took a payment in pounds sterling, and reimbursed the same amount in pounds sterling. So they've made no profit on this -- the difference is an exchange rate conversion issue that is outside your school's control.

You might just need to swallow the loss, I'm afraid.

From another perspective -- if the exchange rates had moved in a way that meant you got back more in SGD than you'd originally paid out, would you be offering your "profit" back to the school? Or would you just count yourself lucky?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending