The Student Room Group

Phone in my pocket during my exam

Hello i need urgent advice on something that happened during my A level exam. So long story short, i was oblivious of the fact that my phone was in my pocket during my exam and the invigilators saw it as u could see part of it hanging out. I had a 2 hour sleep revising until 4am for that exam and i had to wake up early to go to school as i live 2 hours away, so i was not listening to the invigilators but only trying to focus on the exam. They took my phone after completing my exam and they said they had to report me to the exam board (AQA). They investigated EVERYTHING in my phone i even let them go through my personal stuff like pictures, snaps, chats whatever. They took 2-3 hours to do this and they found no evidence of me using my phone. So in essence, the exam board knows that i had my phone with me but that there is no evidence of me actually using it. I just want to know what is the most likely outcome out of this as my head of 6th form said that there is a change they let it slide, deduct marks from that paper or give me 0 marks.
what do you guys think will happen?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ItalianMan125
Hello i need urgent advice on something that happened during my A level exam. So long story short, i was oblivious of the fact that my phone was in my pocket during my exam and the invigilators saw it as u could see part of it hanging out. I had a 2 hour sleep revising until 4am for that exam and i had to wake up early to go to school as i live 2 hours away, so i was not listening to the invigilators but only trying to focus on the exam. They took my phone after completing my exam and they said they had to report me to the exam board (AQA). They investigated EVERYTHING in my phone i even let them go through my personal stuff like pictures, snaps, chats whatever. They took 2-3 hours to do this and they found no evidence of me using my phone. So in essence, the exam board knows that i had my phone with me but that there is no evidence of me actually using it. I just want to know what is the most likely outcome out of this as my head of 6th form said that there is a change they let it slide, deduct marks from that paper or give me 0 marks.

I mean this is just me guessing but since you allowed them to go through your phone completely they probably think you have nothing to hide so they probs wont give you 0 mark. Plus I'm assuming you never cheated before so i doubt it will be serious. Just stay calm. They probs just give you a warning and watch you more carefully during your next exams
Original post by Rainyzack
I mean this is just me guessing but since you allowed them to go through your phone completely they probably think you have nothing to hide so they probs wont give you 0 mark. Plus I'm assuming you never cheated before so i doubt it will be serious. Just stay calm. They probs just give you a warning and watch you more carefully during your next exams

Ye no i have never cheated or anything like that or even caught with anything on me before. Teachers also know me very well and they were very upset as they know i dont do this kind of stuff. Im just scared as its AQA and they may come up with sum harsh consequences.

I don’t buy your story one bit. When I last did an exam ( purely because phones nowadays , especially for young people, are like surgically attached to their hands )they had massive signs by the doors that said leave you phones in you bag . They provided lockers or things similar for you to leave your bags .

how does someone see a sign like that or something similar a not check if their phone is on them. You didn’t check because you didn’t want to . Why ? Only you know . But it doesn’t look good does it ?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by dogsteppedonbee
I don’t buy your story one bit. When I last did an exam ( purely because phones nowadays , especially for young people, are like surgically attached to their hands )they had massive signs by the doors that said leave you phones in you bag . They provided lockers or things similar for you to leave your bags .

how does someone see a sign like that or something similar a not check if their phone is on them. You didn’t check because you didn’t want to . Why ? Only you know . But it doesn’t look good does it ?

bro what r u talking about mistakes can happen. like whats the point of posting this. i really dont understand people sometimes

My schools didn’t have signs. Sometimes the invigilators will tell us to check our pockets for our phones but not every person does. This is a simple mistake that anyone can make.
Original post by vfsvfscvfswc
bro what r u talking about mistakes can happen. like whats the point of posting this. i really dont understand people sometimes

Who goes into an exam where you are told to bring only that which is allowed and makes the mistake for forgetting to check where their phone is . Lol please . If you believe this crap you are incredibly naive and am glad you are not an invigilator.
Original post by Cloudster
My schools didn’t have signs. Sometimes the invigilators will tell us to check our pockets for our phones but not every person does. This is a simple mistake that anyone can make.

So you admit you were told to check your pockets but you decided to chin it off . Why?

You are either guilty of being incredibly stupid or you wee trying to cheat . Either way what you did was wrong and you should be failed and made to take it again at a later date .

Hello.
I'm no expert, but due to the fact that they've investigated your whole phone and found nothing then most likely nothing will happen to your paper or your qualification with AQA as a whole.
You'd most likely get a formal warning from the exam board with no marks deducted.
However, please don't quote me. It depends how the exam board views the 'evidence' that is provided to them.
(edited 1 year ago)

I understand where ur coming from. However, its the truth as i was literally zombiefied in my exams so i just genuinely completely forgot. I didnt check cuz to be honest i just wanted to get my paper done and i dont see how i could’ve cheated or anything like that as the exam hall was literally empty and only my class was there. So eyes were fixed on us.
Original post by Cloudster

Your school should have posters clearly displayed outside the exam and should remind you about phones in the chat before the exam starts. If not then exam inspectors would be very unhappy with them.
https://www.jcq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/2022-Unauthorised-Items-poster.pdf
(edited 1 year ago)
So you admit you were told to check your pockets but you decided to chin it off . Why?

You are either guilty of being incredibly stupid or you wee trying to cheat . Either way what you did was wrong and you should be failed and made to take it again at a later date .

I admit to not checking my pockets as i only realized when they told me. Sorry Mr Perfect but people also forget when they are running on a 2 hour sleep and nearly late on my exam as i have to take 3 different kinda of public transport.
I understand where ur coming from. However, its the truth as i was literally zombiefied in my exams so i just genuinely completely forgot. I didnt check cuz to be honest i just wanted to get my paper done and i dont see how i could’ve cheated or anything like that as the exam hall was literally empty and only my class was there. So eyes were fixed on us.

Unfortunately having your phone even with no evidence you planned to use it should lead to a loss of marks, possibly all marks for that exam.
https://www.jcq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Malpractice_21-22_FINAL.pdf
What the examiners decide to do will depend on exactly what is written in the report and what you have written to explain the incident.
I admit to not checking my pockets as i only realized when they told me. Sorry Mr Perfect but people also forget when they are running on a 2 hour sleep and nearly late on my exam as i have to take 3 different kinda of public transport.

So why when they told you didn’t you immediately put you hand up and say something ? Why did you wait for them to find it ?

Sounds suspicious
So if I was actually attempting to cheat all I need to do now is say whoops I was up all
night and I forgot . Please have a day off .

rules are rules
So why when they told you didn’t you immediately put you hand up and say something ? Why did you wait for them to find it ?

Sounds suspicious

Because i came into the exam hall literally just after everyone sat down and stuff so i just sat down and got on with my work. I understand it may sound sus, but its literally the first time i forgot my phone in my pocket. Also surely they would’ve found anything in my phone as they spent 2-3 hours searching for it. I gave my phone to them purposely as i was confident i did not use it.

this is extremely unfair for you
If it’s an iPhone use screen time to prove that you did not use your phone at all for at least 1hr.

No I’m sorry this isn’t an excuse the other person is right. Schools always stress the importance of sleep. Not having enough sleep will probably make you do worse in your exams anyways. Maybe you should have gone to a closer school or if that wasn’t an option left earlier for school and still go to sleep and not sit your exams “zombified” otherwise you will fail.
Original post by KirstinTM
No I’m sorry this isn’t an excuse the other person is right. Schools always stress the importance of sleep. Not having enough sleep will probably make you do worse in your exams anyways. Maybe you should have gone to a closer school or if that wasn’t an option left earlier for school and still go to sleep and not sit your exams “zombified” otherwise you will fail.

I understand that but its too late to think about that during exams.

Quick Reply

Latest