The Student Room Group

What do you think on travelling two hours one way to university there and back?

I currently live in London and I'll be studying politics in Oxford this September. I searched for routes via maps it would take me just over one hour to drive there, I've only just started my driving lessons. It's 2 hours and 17 minutes to get there. Half an hour of it is mainly walking to bus stops.

I would love to live in accommodation but I've got family who are dependent on me. I saw previous posts about it can affect social life and that, I don't really have one, I'm an introvert.

What do you think of travelling two hours both ways to university? I applied for universities that were closer but didn't get in.
Is this for Oxford or Oxford Brookes?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Is this for Oxford or Oxford Brookes?

It's for Oxford Brookes.
Original post by Spencer26
It's for Oxford Brookes.

A 4-5 hour daily commute is a lot of time to spend away from your family - add in having to be on the road by 6:30am to be sure to be on time for a 9am start and maybe not getting back until 8pm in the evening if you have afternoon lectures and that's a long day.
Do you know roughly how many days a week you'll need to be on campus?

It's possible to do but it's likely to put a lot of strain on you (energy and study wise) and your family relationships.

Didn't you look into this before you applied to university? Are there no other universities closer to home that you could study at instead?
By car, I'd consider it reasonable. By public transport, less reasonable. I personally consider 90 minutes (inclusive of walking at either end) the cut-off point for if a commute is worthwhile.
Just for info - there's no parking permits available for students to park on Headington campus (where Politics is based) https://www.brookes.ac.uk/travel/parking/parking-policy-faqs/
Two hours each way is going to be a slog. It'll mean early starts and getting in late on some days. You'll also be increasingly knackered and fed up with it which may affect both your academics and personal life. People with long journeys also tend to be inclined to skip the odd lecture if it saves a trip.

As above, there's also practicalities like whether there's any parking within a feasible distance.

I commuted between 45-60 mins each way. I didn't feel like I missed out much as I had social groups in and out off uni, but everyones experience is different.

It might be worth contacting the uni and finding out what days you'll actually be in, or asking for an example year 1 timetable. Best case, you might only need to go in 2-3 days a week, but worst case it could be everyday.
Reply 7
I currently live in London and I'll be studying politics in Oxford this September. I searched for routes via maps it would take me just over one hour to drive there, I've only just started my driving lessons. It's 2 hours and 17 minutes to get there. Half an hour of it is mainly walking to bus stops.

I would love to live in accommodation but I've got family who are dependent on me. I saw previous posts about it can affect social life and that, I don't really have one, I'm an introvert.

What do you think of travelling two hours both ways to university? I applied for universities that were closer but didn't get in.

If it is just over 1 hour by car, that seems doable, but please note that times can massively increase if you travel during busy times, and you also normally need to add time for finding parking and then walking from the car to wherever you need to go.

Over 2 hrs each way for public transport, is in my opinion too much. You would be too tired, and would not have enough spare time for self study and whatever else you need to do outside uni, including time to relax and recoup.
Reply 8
No guarantee you will pass your driving test quickly.

Even then you can get stuck in traffic.

Public transport will be a slog.

Is there any compromise whereby you live in accommodation part of the week but come home part of the week, or do your family need you there daily. Then again accommodation is expensive.
(edited 10 months ago)

Hi @Spencer26,

This is obviously a decision that will depend a lot on how happy you are to travel and how able you are to cover the cost of travel. I would say that if you are going to do this, public transport might be a more cost effective option and a better use of your time (assuming you can read and do work on a moving bus). The Oxford Tube is a bus which will drop you right outside Oxford Brookes (timetable here, and fares here) if it is easy for you to get to a stop at your end in London. It might also be worth emailing us in Admissions ([email protected]) and ask us if we can provide you with a rough idea of the days and hours you would be expected to be on campus. We can forward this message on to faculty and they may be able to give you some information. I hope this is helpful and that you are able to find a solution to this problem!

Best wishes,
Daniel

Admissions Office
Oxford Brookes University
Reply 10

Crazy idea - Oxford traffic is not factored into that timing.

How will you do group projects which require you to meet up?

I think you'll have to explore ways of supporting your family - you cannot possbly commute.
Two hours for the way to university and back home are acceptable. More than two hours is critical in my opinion. The longer the way for both, the lesser the time you have for the private life.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Kallisto
Two hours for the way to university and back home are acceptable. More than two hours is critical in my opinion. The longer the way for both, the lesser the time you have for the private life.

Have you driven through Oxford recently? No way will it be less than two hours ...
Original post by Muttley79
Have you driven through Oxford recently? No way will it be less than two hours ...

Nope. But to be fair, it is my attitude for using the local public transport. From this point of view I probably would not have matriculated at Oxford University when I am living in London.

Quick Reply

Latest