The Student Room Group

uni attendance

I have got an offer from a uni which is like 2.5 hrs away. its the only uni that made me an offer so I would like to go there and I don't want to stay in accommodation.
But im just wondering as the travel is quite far would it be a problem if I skip some lectures. Does attendance matter?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I have got an offer from a uni which is like 2.5 hrs away. its the only uni that made me an offer so I would like to go there and I don't want to stay in accommodation.
But im just wondering as the travel is quite far would it be a problem if I skip some lectures. Does attendance matter?

5hr per day travelling! That is completely unworkable. Either stay in accommodation or find somewhere nearer through cleaning.

Hello,

2.5 hours commute one way is quite a lot! I would also advise you to move closer to uni. In my opinion, skipping lectures does matter as you will be missing out on the content. From personal experience, once you fall behind on the module content, catching up becomes very difficult especially when you've got assessments to submit related to the content.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Is there a reason why you do not want to stay in accommodation? :smile:
Original post by 5hyl33n
Is there a reason why you do not want to stay in accommodation? :smile:

You know he’s going to say to save money right? I’ve got a whole answer planned out related to when he says that but I’ll wait until he actually says it’s to save money.

Yes attendance matters, and universities can and will withdraw students for non-engagement if they aren't attending lectures regularly. Note that they don't necessarily formally take attendance in all lectures (often it's pretty rare for attendance to be taken) but your lecturers will notice if a student consistently doesn't turn up.

Also a 2.5 hour commute is not practical. That's 5 hours a day travelling. This is a non-starter - either plan to move into halls or don't plan to study there. There are really no two ways about this. If you can't leave the area you're in and don't have an offer for a local uni, you may want to look into studying with the OU instead.
Reply 6
What’s the course. But in any events this commute would destroy your uni experience.

Hey there!
I can't comment on other universities but I found out just this year that attendance makes a difference on your final grade because the in-class feedback you get is supposed to go towards your final product. If the feedback they give you in-class isn't evident in your final product/exam then they notice that that's due to a lack of attendance and take that into consideration when putting your grade together. Just this year they've started marking a register or telling us to mark our attendance on an online platform. Like I say it completely depends on your university but if they notice you're not taking on board what they say, they'll likely put it down to attendance. I also find that in-person support and feedback is more beneficial than online feedback so it's probably worth going in anyway. Have you looked at options for different means of accommodation such as a flat instead of student halls if you don't want to do that?

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
5 hours travel without accounting for rush hour/parking/bus timetables will be far too much, especially during end of term coursework seasons.

It would be better for your academics (and quality of life) to live closer to the university even if you regularly commute home.

Hello,

Attendance matters but it doesn't mean you can't pass without 100% attendance. Lectures and seminars should probably be like two or three days a week so you should be fine but once you start skipping classes, it becomes a habit. It's also quite a distance to be traveling and might stress you out before class. Reconsider staying in accommodation as this can be a big problem e.g the roads might be blocked, the trains are on strike, you find out the class has been canceled when already at uni or you might feel unwell halfway. To be honest, it's too much of a hassle so you should think of something else as this would be really frustrating. Hope you find a way suitable for you!

Benedicta
Digital Ambassador-UoS
Asks a question and then disappears.

Hi there,

Universities do expect students to attend their lectures and do monitor attendance. Like others have mentioned, 2.5hrs each way is a lot of commuting and will end up taking up a lot of your week, you may end up feeling tired from travelling so much which will end up having an impact on your work.

I'd have a look into student accommodation options to see what's available. Being on campus makes it super easy for you to attend your lectures, reach out to your tutors and use facilities like the library.

Best wishes,
Sarah

Hi!

I would advise you (like other people) to try to get a place closer if you can. 5hrs travel a day will consume so much of your time. Sometimes you may have a class at 9 am and then nothing until 3 pm and if you want to join a society you may have a class in the morning and then the society isn't meeting until 6 pm and while a library is a nice place it may be a little long to spend in there.

Attendance could be a big part of your grade and if it's not honestly looking over the materials is never as good as going to the actual thing.

I hope you figure it out :smile:
If you have any more questions please feel free to ask!

- Jessica
1st Year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending