The Student Room Group

A-level options (further maths vs politics for econ degree)

I'm currently in year 11 and I can't decide between taking further maths and government & politics.
I want to study economics at university, so I know that I'll definitely take economics, history, and maths. I'm not sure whether to take FM or govpol, since they both fit my options pretty well. I know that if I don't take FM, my chances of going to Oxford or LSE won't be great. However, I'm going to apply to the US as well, so maths + FM might make my subjects too narrow, thereby hurting my chances there. I think politics would also suit my options, but I'm worried that universities don't see it as rigorous enough. I'm equally good at maths and essay-based subjects, so grades aren't really that much of an issue.
Basically I'm just looking for advice on which one to take. Also, if anyone has taken further maths, is it really as hard as people say it is?
Reply 1
i do fm and yeah its definitely hard, id stay just stick with 3, they already sound like hard subjects and its a lot of work. its ofc your call, If youre really focused on taking 4, pick fm over politcs, not sure how politics fits with econ but maybe thats just me
Its mainly year 2 fm thats the issue, i think year 1 wasnt too bad
Original post by vera23
I'm currently in year 11 and I can't decide between taking further maths and government & politics.
I want to study economics at university, so I know that I'll definitely take economics, history, and maths. I'm not sure whether to take FM or govpol, since they both fit my options pretty well. I know that if I don't take FM, my chances of going to Oxford or LSE won't be great. However, I'm going to apply to the US as well, so maths + FM might make my subjects too narrow, thereby hurting my chances there. I think politics would also suit my options, but I'm worried that universities don't see it as rigorous enough. I'm equally good at maths and essay-based subjects, so grades aren't really that much of an issue.
Basically I'm just looking for advice on which one to take. Also, if anyone has taken further maths, is it really as hard as people say it is?

I'm biased but I would say FM is probably preferable here. Not only is it required for LSE/Oxbridge, but US economics degrees (if they're at a half decent college) can be more mathematical than UK economics degrees in some ways. Not sure how learning about UK politics would be preferable if applying to US colleges.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending