The Student Room Group

4 A-levels? should I take maths, further maths, economics and english lit?

I'm interested in going to university for economics or accountancy. would it be preferable for me to take English lit, economics, maths and further maths, or is that too much work and I should drop further maths or even do it for an AS level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I.Hate.Science
I'm interested in going to university for economics or accountancy. would it be preferable for me to take English lit, economics, maths and further maths, or is that too much work and I should drop further maths or even do it for an AS level?

If you aspire to universities such as Cambridge or LSE you should definitely do FM.
Yeah FM as a fourth subject is a wise decision
Original post by ageshallnot
If you aspire to universities such as Cambridge or LSE you should definitely do FM.

Do you think I should take FM over English Lit or do both, is the workload too much?

I’d say to replace English lit, considering neither economics or accountancy requires it. Not from what I remember, anyways.
Do you think I should take FM over English Lit or do both, is the workload too much?

Idk really know but FM as the 4th subject is not so bad... so you can take 4 if you want to but don't drop FM if you're planning to take 3.
Original post by summerbirdreads
Idk really know but FM as the 4th subject is not so bad... so you can take 4 if you want to but don't drop FM if you're planning to take 3.

Is there much extra work to do for FM or is it only a little bit on top of normal maths.

I have no idea about the workload, especially in relation to you abilities.
Original post by 0ptics
I’d say to replace English lit, considering neither economics or accountancy requires it. Not from what I remember, anyways.

I know it isn't required but i'm at an age where i want to keep some options open and english lit is well respected, if there isn't a ton of extra work doing further maths then i will atke it.
Is there much extra work to do for FM or is it only a little bit on top of normal maths.

The workload is not that bad tbh but not little either.
(edited 2 years ago)
Maths, FM and Economics are just fine, depending on what you want to study. You could also add in Physics since it's pretty quantitative and it complements Maths and FM.
The workload is not that bad tbh but not little either.

Do you have any idea of how many extra hours a week it is? Do you miss out on stuff at sixth form if you take a 4th A-level.
Do you have any idea of how many extra hours a week it is? Do you miss out on stuff at sixth form if you take a 4th A-level.

Most schools cover maths in year 12 and then move onto FM in year 13.. we do 4 hours of FM in school now. You won't necessarily miss out stuff if you take FM as a fourth A level.. I take chem and physics along with maths and FM for context, so I don't do content heavy subjects like eng lit.
Most schools cover maths in year 12 and then move onto FM in year 13.. we do 4 hours of FM in school now. You won't necessarily miss out stuff if you take FM as a fourth A level.. I take chem and physics along with maths and FM for context, so I don't do content heavy subjects li

So I would only be doing 3 a-levels the first year? and then the second year study maths and fm alongside each other?

most unis only look for 3 A-Levels , further maths is also a lot of work but its best if your drop english lit as courses like economics or accountancy don't require it.

if you really want to FM , do it as a level or even an AS.
So I would only be doing 3 a-levels the first year? and then the second year study maths and fm alongside each other?

In my school, yes. We focus on FM and do maths revision. It's not too much really, that's why FM is the only recommended 4th A-level but it's also accepted as a 3rd in plenty of unis despite what some people say.

I would say it is a lot more work, if you want to get a an A*/A in it. it definitely does feel like 3 subjects to me, even though I really enjoy maths
Original post by kirussak
most unis only look for 3 A-Levels , further maths is also a lot of work but its best if your drop english lit as courses like economics or accountancy don't require it.

if you really want to FM , do it as a level or even an AS.

I think I am going to try and do 4 and if i hate English Lit or there is too much work i will drop English and do Econ, maths and further maths, sound like a good idea?
In my school, yes. We focus on FM and do maths revision. It's not too much really, that's why FM is the only recommended 4th A-level but it's also accepted as a 3rd in plenty of unis despite what some people say.

Sounds like I am going to do 4 A-levels and see how it goes.
Original post by AstronomerGirl
I would say it is a lot more work, if you want to get a an A*/A in it. it definitely does feel like 3 subjects to me, even though I really enjoy maths

I think I am going to do 4 and see how it goes. thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest