The Student Room Group

Unpaid training 20 hours

Hi,

I applied for a job at World of Waffle and the manager/owner contacted me directly for an informal interview. When I went, it was less of an interview, but her telling me what my job really was, what I would be doing, my rates and everything. This is my first job but I didn't think I was being naive.

She told me that I'd be earning £7.28 and that she's still unsure of how many hours I'll be doing, but it will be around 12 hours a week, due to there actually being an overstaffing issue. Weird. She also disclosed that I will be doing 20 hours of unpaid training just for cooking waffles, pancakes and serving milkshakes and ice cream. I just thought it was a bit unreasonable. I went there to shadow a current employee for around half an hour and there was also another girl doing a bit of her unpaid training, and I kind of do see why she would think 20 hours of training is reasonable since they were a bit clueless. But I would call myself an okay cook, and I don't think turning pancakes/waffles is difficult. They were not even wearing gloves and the place was a bit stinky ngl, could've been one of them but I'd say the area wasn't really clean.

Unfortunately, I am quite desperate for a job, I don't want to risk asking her to lower it to 10 hours. It'd be great if she could or else I'd be losing £150 which I really need since I am going to Uni this year and it's going to be difficult with the cost of living crisis going on.

There weren't a lot of customers so I'd understand why she wants the money instead of paying her employees. But honestly, sitting around munching on waffles doesn't seem to hard, so I don't know why anyone would have to do that damned 20 hours of training. It's unbelievable.

Thoughts/advice?
Reply 1
Generally if you feel enthusiastic about a job it’s worth giving it a go and seeing what you can make of it. Isn’t this below the minimum wage though?
Original post by Zarek
Generally if you feel enthusiastic about a job it’s worth giving it a go and seeing what you can make of it. Isn’t this below the minimum wage though?

I mean who wouldn't like turning waffles and serving ice cream for a few hours, it's super easy. My parents don't want me to take the job but my friends have told me that although the 20 hours of unpaid "training" is ridiculous, it's better than nothing.

I'm really tempted to ask whether I can lower the 20 hours to 10 hours of training though, but boss' exact words were, everyone does the unpaid 20 hours. Still baffles me. I even called up the shopping centre, and they were shocked as well but said they couldn't do anything about it. They did urge me to apply for different jobs though. Says something I guess.

I'm doing architecture at university, and I really need to make a bit of money since I'm going to be spending a ridiculous amount of it on supplies, and I need a gaming laptop apparently so the software to design actually works, rendering etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Chamberlain3000
Hi,

I applied for a job at World of Waffle and the manager/owner contacted me directly for an informal interview. When I went, it was less of an interview, but her telling me what my job really was, what I would be doing, my rates and everything. This is my first job but I didn't think I was being naive.

She told me that I'd be earning £7.28 and that she's still unsure of how many hours I'll be doing, but it will be around 12 hours a week, due to there actually being an overstaffing issue. Weird. She also disclosed that I will be doing 20 hours of unpaid training just for cooking waffles, pancakes and serving milkshakes and ice cream. I just thought it was a bit unreasonable. I went there to shadow a current employee for around half an hour and there was also another girl doing a bit of her unpaid training, and I kind of do see why she would think 20 hours of training is reasonable since they were a bit clueless. But I would call myself an okay cook, and I don't think turning pancakes/waffles is difficult. They were not even wearing gloves and the place was a bit stinky ngl, could've been one of them but I'd say the area wasn't really clean.

Unfortunately, I am quite desperate for a job, I don't want to risk asking her to lower it to 10 hours. It'd be great if she could or else I'd be losing £150 which I really need since I am going to Uni this year and it's going to be difficult with the cost of living crisis going on.

There weren't a lot of customers so I'd understand why she wants the money instead of paying her employees. But honestly, sitting around munching on waffles doesn't seem to hard, so I don't know why anyone would have to do that damned 20 hours of training. It's unbelievable.

Thoughts/advice?

Yes it is unreasonable. Whole thing sounds like a joke tbh.

I'd advise finding something else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending