The Student Room Group

Should i ask to be paid for my 21 hour work trial?

To recap: I applied for an Assistant Pharmacist Apprenticeship position because i want to get into the healthcare industry and luckily they got back to me through my job Agency asking me to do a 3 day work trial (7 hours per day) which i happily accepted as i wasn't getting much luck with my other applications.

Fast forward to today: i finished my 3rd work trial day today and just went home but now im not sure what happens after today? I really loved working with the people there, the job is harsh on the feet but the bubbly colleagues and easy work made it bearable. I hadn't messed up a single task during my trial, and i only had to be told how to do each thing once and i cracked on, completed my work in a reasonable amount of time to the point where there was barely any work left to be done around the pharmacy.

The only thing is, the manager who is meant to be in charge of the pharmacy, wasn't there at all while i was doing my work trial there, so no one was really assessing my abilities. When i showed up the first day, the colleagues were confused as no one was informed about my arrival.

But anyways, no one had sat down and spoke to me or even told me that they would email me about whether i get the apprenticeship or not, so im feeling really lost at the moment. I kind of feel a bit like I've been used for free labour and then forgotten about.

I just emailed a consultant from my work agency to ask what i should do about this situation (hasn't responded yet) but i thought i should ask on here for different opinions as well.
Reply 1
There is no entitlement to be paid for a genuine work trial that forms part of the recruitment process for a role. However, your trial has none of the hallmarks of a genuine trial. A genuine trial should only be for as long as is necessary to adequately assess the skills needed for the role, should be closely monitored by someone capable of assessing you, and should be undertaken as part of a genuine recruitment process. Three days is far too long for an unpaid work trial, and you should be entitled to payment for your shifts.
Reply 2
Original post by a-gld
There is no entitlement to be paid for a genuine work trial that forms part of the recruitment process for a role. However, your trial has none of the hallmarks of a genuine trial. A genuine trial should only be for as long as is necessary to adequately assess the skills needed for the role, should be closely monitored by someone capable of assessing you, and should be undertaken as part of a genuine recruitment process. Three days is far too long for an unpaid work trial, and you should be entitled to payment for your shifts.

Thank you for your response, i felt the same way when i first received the work trial period but my work coach told me it was normal, so i didn't think much of it. But now that im looking at the whole situation properly 21 hours for an unpaid work trial does seem excessive.
lol you got no experience, will basically be a monetary loss for the company for the three days that you're going to be there, since they will have to take out time to give you advice/some training and you expect to be paid?

be thankful you got an opportunity and take it as a learning experience. If you wanna be paid, go work at mcdonalds

i swear kids these days man....damn Gen z'ers
Reply 4
Original post by money-for-all
lol you got no experience, will basically be a monetary loss for the company for the three days that you're going to be there, since they will have to take out time to give you advice/some training and you expect to be paid?

be thankful you got an opportunity and take it as a learning experience. If you wanna be paid, go work at mcdonalds

Im sorry that you were raised thinking that being exploited is honourable. Instead of being angry that the new generations refuse to be mistreated the same way you happily accepted when you were my age, you should encourage the fact that young people are standing up for themselves. I may be 18 but i have had 3 jobs already. I started working at 16 years old and faced immense mistreatment just because of my age. I ask you, Why is that something you want to normalize?
Original post by Jade205
To recap: I applied for an Assistant Pharmacist Apprenticeship position because i want to get into the healthcare industry and luckily they got back to me through my job Agency asking me to do a 3 day work trial (7 hours per day) which i happily accepted as i wasn't getting much luck with my other applications.

Fast forward to today: i finished my 3rd work trial day today and just went home but now im not sure what happens after today? I really loved working with the people there, the job is harsh on the feet but the bubbly colleagues and easy work made it bearable. I hadn't messed up a single task during my trial, and i only had to be told how to do each thing once and i cracked on, completed my work in a reasonable amount of time to the point where there was barely any work left to be done around the pharmacy.

The only thing is, the manager who is meant to be in charge of the pharmacy, wasn't there at all while i was doing my work trial there, so no one was really assessing my abilities. When i showed up the first day, the colleagues were confused as no one was informed about my arrival.

But anyways, no one had sat down and spoke to me or even told me that they would email me about whether i get the apprenticeship or not, so im feeling really lost at the moment. I kind of feel a bit like I've been used for free labour and then forgotten about.

I just emailed a consultant from my work agency to ask what i should do about this situation (hasn't responded yet) but i thought i should ask on here for different opinions as well.

They dont have to pay you for a trial. But if the trial is a day or 2 (i.e. more than 3-4 hours) then it would be a bit rude/stingy of a workplace to not pay you. Seems a bit odd that the manager wasnt there and the staff there werent made aware that you would be attending.
Id speak to your consultant from the work agency and the pharmacy to see where you go from there- i.e are they progressing with your application/possibly hiring you, or for feedback of they arent going to hire you.
Reply 6
Original post by Emma:-)
They dont have to pay you for a trial. But if the trial is a day or 2 (i.e. more than 3-4 hours) then it would be a bit rude/stingy of a workplace to not pay you. Seems a bit odd that the manager wasnt there and the staff there werent made aware that you would be attending.
Id speak to your consultant from the work agency and the pharmacy to see where you go from there- i.e are they progressing with your application/possibly hiring you, or for feedback of they arent going to hire you.

I agree with you, i definitely wouldn't be asking for pay if my work trial only lasted 3-4 hours or even if it was one 7 hour shift, but because it was 3 whole 7 hour shifts that's why i feel uneasy about it after reading online about how trial shifts are usually no longer than 2-4 hours.

The consultant has replied to my email but it was only to double check to make sure that i definitely wanted to go through with the apprenticeship. I read her email too late on Friday so now i have to wait till Monday to get a response. I'll be sure to give an update over here once i get a response.
Three day trial? Yeah, they were likely short staffed and taking you for a ride.

Original post by money-for-all

This isn't the communist utopia you crave. We pay people for their labour otherwise it is exploitative.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending