The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Further Mathematics Paper 3A (9FM0 3A) - 22nd June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your Edexcel A Level Further Mathematics Paper 3A exam go?

Edexcel A Level Further Mathematics Paper 3A (9FM0 3A) - 22nd June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 22nd June 2023/ PM
Length: 1hr 30 mins

Resources:
Edexcel A Level Further Mathematics
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

I cannot stand long conic sections questions, I'm actually terrified of them
Original post by Labradoodle1

Yeah, the proofs and loci can be pretty annoying imo.

Have you seen the YouTube channel Tayyub Majeed? He has model solutions to a bunch of FP1 past papers including 2019, which had one such question on it worth 11 marks

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCa3jZO4SEMa0rzJPwx3JrtQ
Reply 3

I used to feel exactly the same way a week or two ago. But since I’ve ‘drilled’ about 40 or 50 of them I actually feel really confident. I’m sure if you just pick up the text book and specifically revise conic sections over a number of days you’ll too be fine.
Original post by TypicalNerd
Yeah, the proofs and loci can be pretty annoying imo.

Have you seen the YouTube channel Tayyub Majeed? He has model solutions to a bunch of FP1 past papers including 2019, which had one such question on it worth 11 marks

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCa3jZO4SEMa0rzJPwx3JrtQ

Yeah I have :smile:
They're good, but to me the issue isn't understanding the solution, it's being able to actually come up with it under time pressure.
Am I the only one ******** myself about the conic question we'll get? After an abysmal core pure 1 and ~90% on core 2 I really want an A* so conics better not **** me over
Yeah I have :smile:
They're good, but to me the issue isn't understanding the solution, it's being able to actually come up with it under time pressure.

That is reasonable.

I would say the only way to actually learn to come up with the solutions under time pressure is to know how someone else approached a similar problem by means of watching them write down and explain a model solution.
Original post by The tesseract
Am I the only one ******** myself about the conic question we'll get? After an abysmal core pure 1 and ~90% on core 2 I really want an A* so conics better not **** me over

No you definitely aren't the only one! Also we typically get two conic sections questions per paper, not one :frown:
No you definitely aren't the only one! Also we typically get two conic sections questions per paper, not one :frown:

I am hoping that we don’t have an 11-mark proof like on the 2019 paper.

I also hope the first conics question is early on in the paper and similar to the first question on the 2021 paper.

Yeah but usually the first one is easy and early in the paper
I am hoping that we don’t have an 11-mark proof like on the 2019 paper.

I also hope the first conics question is early on in the paper and similar to the first question on the 2021 paper.

Yeah I hope we don't either. The 2022 paper had nice, split up questions imo so hopefully it's like that this year! Then again, the 2022 core pure papers were really nice and this year they were pretty hard.
Reply 11

Dude based on what you estimated on the other thread, you're currently on trajectory for an A* likely irrespective of boundaries. I wouldn't worry.
Original post by Noah1807
Dude based on what you estimated on the other thread, you're currently on trajectory for an A* likely irrespective of boundaries. I wouldn't worry.

I know but core 1 really screwed me. I am confident on fp1 just need to be calm in the exam lol.
Did you guys know that if a 4D hypercone is sliced by a 3D solid (like a cuboid), you get 3D conic sections? You'll get stuff like spheres, paraboloids, ellipsoids and rectangular hyperboloids. I bet they'll make an application question on this lol
(edited 10 months ago)
Did you guys know that if a 4D hypercone is sliced by a 3D solid (like a cuboid), you get 3D conic sections? You'll get stuff like spheres, paraboloids, ellipsoids and rectangular hyperboloids. I bet they'll make an application question on this lol

That would be really interesting, but I really doubt it will come up.
Reply 15

They definitely won't ask about that in the exam. Maybe if they had FP1&2 in conjunction they could ask about surface areas of revolution to do with 3D conic sections.
(edited 10 months ago)
Who here has done the FP1 papers from mock sets 1 and 2?

Is it just me or was the mock set 2 paper about a hundred times easier than the mock set 1 paper?
Who here has done the FP1 papers from mock sets 1 and 2?

Is it just me or was the mock set 2 paper about a hundred times easier than the mock set 1 paper?

can you please send them to me (or give me the link) cos I cannot for the life of me find them
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 18
Does anyone know where the x = 0, y = -6sin(theta) comes from Q10 (page 75)?
https://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/further_topics/various/conic_sections.pdf
can you please send them to me (or give me the link) cos I cannot for the life of me find them

That’s probably for the better, since they are mock papers after all.

If you ask your teachers nicely, they should be able to access them for you and able to email you the pdfs.

Latest

Trending

Trending