The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Am I the only one who likes conics. I think they're the easiest ones. Reducible differential equations and vectors though...
Original post by moheat13
Am I the only one who likes conics. I think they're the easiest ones. Reducible differential equations and vectors though...

Every time I see an ellipse I want to stick my had through it and hang myself. Reducibles are free marks for me
Reply 22
Original post by The tesseract
Every time I see an ellipse I want to stick my had through it and hang myself. Reducibles are free marks for me

Nah I feel like every time I need to do a conics question everything I need to know is already in that one table in the formula booklet. I can never do the rearranging for the DE's but after that they're generally OK, vectors though I've just accepted I'm not getting marks for that bit.
Nah I feel like every time I need to do a conics question everything I need to know is already in that one table in the formula booklet. I can never do the rearranging for the DE's but after that they're generally OK, vectors though I've just accepted I'm not getting marks for that bit.

Yeah the first part of the question is generally nice. If it wants a tangent or normal that's 5 free marks. It's the problem solving that comes after which usually ****s me

Conics are fine, as long as they don’t involve 11-mark proof questions that require like 8 straight pages of working to complete lmao.

Reducible DE’s are usually fine, though weirdly, I tend to c0ck up the simpler first order ones more often than the second order ones.

Vectors are mostly fine. I just need to stop making silly little mistakes with things like the volumes of tetrahedrons where I forget to divide the scalar triple product by 6.
Reply 25
hey if anyone has done the 2022 paper, does anyone get how you know to reject y=8x+24 for question 7? it says correct reason for rejection is not needed for the mark but im confused as to how you can tell.
Original post by Lucysc
hey if anyone has done the 2022 paper, does anyone get how you know to reject y=8x+24 for question 7? it says correct reason for rejection is not needed for the mark but im confused as to how you can tell.

Try solving |x^2 - 8| = 8x + 24

x^2 - 8 = 8x + 24 or 8 - x^2 = 8x + 24
x^2 - 8x - 32 = 0 or x^2 + 8x + 16 = 0
==> x = 4 ± 4√ 3 or x = -4

Checking for extraneous solutions (i.e plugging all the solutions into y = |x^2 - 8| and y = 8x + 24 to see if they are consistent):

x = 4 + 4√ 3 gives consistent y values
x = 4 - 4√ 3 gives consistent y values
x = -4 does not give consistent y values, so it is not a valid solution.

So there would only be two intersections, rather than the required three as per the sketch and the line above part (a)
Reply 27

Tbh reducibles, vectors and conics are the most 'variable' of all the topics on the FP1 specification. They can be super easy, or super difficult: depending on how much problem-solving they introduce into each style of question. But broadly speaking so long as I'm not stressed out of my mind, I like all three subjects.

Conics can be nice, but they can also be very evil.
Reply 29
Original post by TypicalNerd
Who here has done the FP1 papers from mock sets 1 and 2?

Is it just me or was the mock set 2 paper about a hundred times easier than the mock set 1 paper?

I tried both 'mock sets' today. On #1 I scored c90% (dropped a couple explanation marks and the value for 'h' wasn't specified), and I tried a few select questions for #2 and had no issues either really. I just dread that they'll make more involved questions than those on a very humid day lol.
Original post by Noah1807
I tried both 'mock sets' today. On #1 I scored c90% (dropped a couple explanation marks and the value for 'h' wasn't specified), and I tried a few select questions for #2 and had no issues either really. I just dread that they'll make more involved questions than those on a very humid day lol.

It probably isn’t so much difficulty related tbh.

I just made stupid mistakes left, right and centre on mock set 1. I had been working consistently for about 2 hours without a break before starting the paper, which probably didn’t help.

I took a 15 minute break to have a drink and a snack, then did much better on mock set 2.
Really nice practice for RDE's if anyone is interested
If there's easy conics, should be good.
Original post by DanielK1456

yeah the questions that worry me are vectors are conics. If they're nice, gg
Original post by DanielK1456

Weierstrauss substitution go brrrrrrr
(edited 10 months ago)
Weierstrauss substitution go brrrrrrr

That's not too bad if you just learn some tricks on how to integrate. If not, do something like +1-1 it works lol. Something like t^2/(1+t^2). You add 1 then subtract 1 on the numerator so you have the 1+t^2 bits cancel and you're left with a constant + a standard arctan integral. easy
That's not too bad if you just learn some tricks on how to integrate. If not, do something like +1-1 it works lol. Something like t^2/(1+t^2). You add 1 then subtract 1 on the numerator so you have the 1+t^2 bits cancel and you're left with a constant + a standard arctan integral. easy

Oh I know it’s generally pretty easy, but it’s just a pain to memorise everything for it.
Oh I know it’s generally pretty easy, but it’s just a pain to memorise everything for it.

Yeah I just memorise 2 of the formulas, everything else can be quickly derived. Oh and turning the dx into dt as well it's worth memorising
Reply 38
I know predicting is a very non fool-proof thing to do, but shouldn't we expect to see a differential equation perhaps using first order , I believe the only other time they did this was 2021.
Yeah I just memorise 2 of the formulas, everything else can be quickly derived. Oh and turning the dx into dt as well it's worth memorising

I have memorised that, however, I’m pretty sure they expect you to show how you get it unless they explicitly tell you all the t formulae and the result for dx can just be assumed

Latest

Trending

Trending