The Student Room Group

Accused of plagiarism but it makes 0 sense.

Okay so for a bunch of questions we had to submit, one of the questions was key concepts about oxidative phosphorylation. And now I've been told that apparently I've plagiarised my work from 3 different STUDENT PAPERS from Sixth forms which are no where near me and which I can't even access the papers turnitin has flagged.

I really don't know what to do, it's a standardised biological process there isn't exactly much I can write from.

I emailed some of the department, but I want to know if anyone here has experienced anything similar.
Original post by magictofu
Okay so for a bunch of questions we had to submit, one of the questions was key concepts about oxidative phosphorylation. And now I've been told that apparently I've plagiarised my work from 3 different STUDENT PAPERS from Sixth forms which are no where near me and which I can't even access the papers turnitin has flagged.

I really don't know what to do, it's a standardised biological process there isn't exactly much I can write from.

I emailed some of the department, but I want to know if anyone here has experienced anything similar.

Hey!
I can understand your concerns and the frustration you must be feeling. Plagiarism allegations can be serious, but it's important to remain calm and handle the situation appropriately. Firstly, it's great that you've already taken the initiative to reach out to the department and explain your situation via email. They are the best resource to help you navigate this issue.

While I haven't experienced a similar situation personally, cases of plagiarism can arise unintentionally, especially when writing about well-established concepts like oxidative phosphorylation. Make sure to provide evidence of your research and writing process, such as notes, drafts, or textbooks you referenced. It's essential to demonstrate that you genuinely worked on the assignment and that any similarities are coincidental.

Additionally, you could ask if there is an appeals or review process within your institution's academic policies. This would give you an opportunity to present your case and provide further explanation. Remember, each institution may have its own specific policies and procedures for handling plagiarism cases, so it's best to rely on the guidance and advice provided by your department or academic staff.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Original post by magictofu

Hi there,

It's very difficult to provide specific advise on such cases, as rules differ between Universities and without all the details. However, I'm sorry to hear about this issue and it must be very frustrating and stressful for you. However, at most Universities you are entitled to support from your Student Union, at our University there is specific people who serve this purpose, they will help you build any evidence/support your argument to resolve this case.

I hope it gets resolved :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending