The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Support for those with pending results

I thought I’d open a forum so that anyone struggling with pending results is able to come on chat and get some support from others going through the same!

Scroll to see replies

Feeling so gutted as from what I've been reading it may actually be a full 6 weeks before we get the results. My module had so many issues throughout the year so tbh not actually so surprised :/
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by DarcyLondon
Feeling so gutted as from what I've been reading it may actually be a full 6 weeks before we get the results. My module had so many issues throughout the year so tbh not actually so surprised :/

The waiting is definitely going to be difficult. All we can do is hope for the best - keep getting support where needed.
It’s definitely disheartening xx
I feel sick at the thought of having to wait another 6 weeks to find out if I’ve passed or not.
The lack of communication by the OU worries and the very vague explanation as to why it’s pending.
Original post by Anonymous
I feel sick at the thought of having to wait another 6 weeks to find out if I’ve passed or not.
The lack of communication by the OU worries and the very vague explanation as to why it’s pending.

I am very fortunate to have known before hand that I would have a pending result on that module. I think for those today who have received the clearly very generic email - with no actual info on their own circumstances is unhelpful.
The conduct team do not have much contact with students and student support will have limited answers for everyone during this time. Which shows a massive lack of communication. It’s worrying, it’s scary, and the anxiety for myself like I imagine everyone else is horrific. They’re able to decide whether we pass or fail no matter how hard we’ve worked. It definitely sucks in every way! But that’s why I made the forum so we can come together get it out and have others going through the same and understand how you’re feeling :smile:
I am currently going through the same situation, so I’m glad I found this thread! I got one of my module grades back but the other days pending, with a very vague email not explaining why. I’m so scared that I’ve either not made the mark or I’ve accidentally plagiarised something. Was just looking forward to it all being over
I am currently going through the same situation, so I’m glad I found this thread! I got one of my module grades back but the other days pending, with a very vague email not explaining why. I’m so scared that I’ve either not made the mark or I’ve accidentally plagiarised something. Was just looking forward to it all being over

Mine too was one of my modules. I knew on the 3rd they were investigating me. I had until 17th to come back with my defence, which there wasn’t any - it had been noted in the feedback of the tma months ago I’d missed quote marks it was a rookie mistake and now I have to wait for the result.

But I think for everyone who’s just received the vague email today it is worse, I know what’s going on and it’s been bad enough - for those who expected results today and received that again - and as you said with little info is ridiculous. But when they first pointed me to this forum it was all just horror stories and when I realised there was so many of struggling right now - I decided I’d try make some less horror stories and atleast make sure everyone has someone to talk too x
I don’t understand the need for the vagueness, id much rather just know what is happening, 3 years of stressful studying to have this happen at the end just feels like a kick in the teeth…
I don’t understand the need for the vagueness, id much rather just know what is happening, 3 years of stressful studying to have this happen at the end just feels like a kick in the teeth…

they’ve essentially sent the same generic email to every single person they’ve pulled up - and there’s a lot because of this AI thing they’re proper cracking down and are effectively pulling the smallest discrepancies. It’s defo a kick in the teeth, I’m so close to my masters, had a place in my next uni starting 1st august - for this to happen.
they’re definitely not thinking about the students in this situation, or the effects it has on peoples mental health etc
It’s just awful, I’ve studied full time along full time work and it’s been so hard, to have it all at risk now. It definitely takes a toll on mental health, it isn’t fair at all, do you know how long we could be waiting to find out??
It’s just awful, I’ve studied full time along full time work and it’s been so hard, to have it all at risk now. It definitely takes a toll on mental health, it isn’t fair at all, do you know how long we could be waiting to find out??

It really is s**t. I’m assuming like me you should be receiving your class right about now along with everyone else?
Honestly I’m not sure - I’m not sure if it’s different for everyone who’s only found out today. But when I have replied to the investigation team - their email states you should receive a decision letter within 4 weeks. However the generic email seems to give 6 weeks as an estimate.
There are horror stories on here about people waiting months - unfortunately there’s barely any positive outcomes to be found on here which I think makes it worse. So hopefully we can keep this open and slowly people will start to get their good news so next year when the next lot of students suffer the same they have some positive answers too.
Original post by elmayox
It really is s**t. I’m assuming like me you should be receiving your class right about now along with everyone else?
Honestly I’m not sure - I’m not sure if it’s different for everyone who’s only found out today. But when I have replied to the investigation team - their email states you should receive a decision letter within 4 weeks. However the generic email seems to give 6 weeks as an estimate.
There are horror stories on here about people waiting months - unfortunately there’s barely any positive outcomes to be found on here which I think makes it worse. So hopefully we can keep this open and slowly people will start to get their good news so next year when the next lot of students suffer the same they have some positive answers too.

But postponement isn't just caused my plagiarism I believe? I have seen others have it postponed overall due to grade decisions etc also. Or I really hope so as they surely would inform all those with pending on the day or before results not just leaving it hanging. For my module there was a bunch of technical issues for the final tma so much so they allowed a 24hr blanket extension and the option to not submit and make the submission in August instead. So assuming its just another f up from OU..
But postponement isn't just caused my plagiarism I believe? I have seen others have it postponed overall due to grade decisions etc also. Or I really hope so as they surely would inform all those with pending on the day or before results not just leaving it hanging. For my module there was a bunch of technical issues for the final tma so much so they allowed a 24hr blanket extension and the option to not submit and make the submission in August instead. So assuming its just another f up from OU..

Unless your email states that there is another issue if you’ve had the generic email yesterday. It’s plagiarism. Altho not everyone who’s delayed has this issue. If there was an issue with marking emails were sent out several weeks ago to tell those who would be affected.
(edited 9 months ago)
The delays to marking are likely due to the national Marking and Assessment Boycott (industrial action short of a strike) to try to push universities back to negotiations about pay and working conditions.

The union has an information page for students here: https://ucu.open.ac.uk/campaigns/information-students
Original post by PQ
The delays to marking are likely due to the national Marking and Assessment Boycott (industrial action short of a strike) to try to push universities back to negotiations about pay and working conditions.

The union has an information page for students here: https://ucu.open.ac.uk/campaigns/information-students

This however may be true, those who have the plagiarism email are unrelated to the marking boycott. So please don’t get peoples hopes up with the marking boycott when they’ve had the email stating their reason.
(edited 9 months ago)
Thanks, I just feel totally in the lurch and more stressed as I have absolutely no idea what it is. I know I didn't intentionally plagiarise but the idea of being investigated and not having a clue is really anxiety inducing! Really hope I actually recieve an update or something this week at least
Thanks, I just feel totally in the lurch and more stressed as I have absolutely no idea what it is. I know I didn't intentionally plagiarise but the idea of being investigated and not having a clue is really anxiety inducing! Really hope I actually recieve an update or something this week at least

The majority of us haven’t done anything intentionally but sh*t happens. All we can do now is hope for the best. This AI thing has just screwed everyone really
I know looks like its not just OU that's having it this year! Such a shame and I still wish they could inform all those with pending as to why they haven't got them instead of nothing. There seems like so many in the fb groups!
I know looks like it’s not just OU that's having it this year! Such a shame and I still wish they could inform all those with pending as to why they haven't got them instead of nothing. There seems like so many in the fb groups!

If you haven’t received an email yesterday in regards to possible plagiarism then at the moment I would assume marking boycott as I believe everyone who has pending due to possible plagiarism has been notified by now
Hi everyone - I have an update.

I was found guilty of plagiarism - given an informal caution and a remark on the assignment.

I waited 2 weeks. Now I just need to wait for my tutor to remark and the module panel to release my results. Hold in there!

Quick Reply

Latest