The Student Room Group

{URGENT} I need some help on my personal statement

I have completed my personal statement, and just wanted someone to check it and tell me if there is anything i can do, to improve it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Remove your personal statement as it will be stored and flagged for plagiarism
Original post by Kiran T
This is my personal statement????

REMOVE - you will need to rewrite it - Never post openly on the internet
Reply 3
Thank you! Deleted ^-^
Original post by Kiran T
Thank you! Deleted ^-^

Too late - you'll need to rewrite it or you'll be flagged for plagiarism.

There is a section where you can have it reviewed privately. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1372
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79

There is a section where you can have it reviewed privately. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1372

I know you shouldnt post PS on forums, but why would you be flagged for plagiarism, if no one uses it
Original post by ibyghee
I know you shouldnt post PS on forums, but why would you be flagged for plagiarism, if no one uses it

The OP will use it ... and someone else might too - you can't guarantee it won't be copied.
Reply 7

Is it too late? I have checked on plagiarism websites and it says 100% unique and no plagiarism. Would i still need to rewrite it?
Reply 8
The OP will use it ... and someone else might too - you can't guarantee it won't be copied.

The likelyhood of someone with ill intentions to copy it within these 10 minutes on the student room who also knows that he will be flagged as plagarised, is very unlikely. But of course best to not use it. But honestly, if it was a good PS, I would just keep it
Original post by Kiran T
Is it too late? I have checked on plagiarism websites and it says 100% unique and no plagiarism. Would i still need to rewrite it?

Never post it anywhere! The only safe place is where I linked ... ask them.
Reply 10
Never post it anywhere! The only safe place is where I linked ... ask them.

Alright! Thank you for telling me!. I'll ask them ^-^
Original post by ibyghee

Because websites and google can cache information.

Every year TSR puts out warnings to never post your PS yet people continue to do so.
Original post by CoolCavy

Every year TSR puts out warnings to never post your PS yet people continue to do so.

I guess, cache can be a problem, but I don't think TSR allows cache available to the public.

What I also mean is, the PS is deleted after a few minutes, so i dont think it would be that big of a deal
Original post by ibyghee
What I also mean is, the PS is deleted after a few minutes, so i dont think it would be that big of a deal

A few minutes can still be enough even if it is deleted.

It is a big deal which is why TSR makes it very clear not to post Personal Statements on the public forums.

can explain the technical details better than I can
Reply 15

It is a big deal which is why TSR makes it very clear not to post Personal Statements on the public forums.

@ecolier can explain the technical details better than I can

I have had it checked for plagiarism by 5 different plagiarism checkers, it has said i have 0. Would that be okay?
Original post by Kiran T
I have had it checked for plagiarism by 5 different plagiarism checkers, it has said i have 0. Would that be okay?

No, because you only uploaded it less than an hour ago. So if anyone has taken a copy then they won’t have submitted it anywhere yet.

The only plagiarism checker of note is the one that UCAS uses. I would not be using any other online ones.

As above, it’s unlikely anyone will pick it up, but there is a risk in submitting it in its current form. It’s up to you whether it’s worth the risk or not but the usual advice is to rewrite it if you have time.

@ecolier can explain the technical details better than I can

I don't think it's that likely for someone with ill intentions to purposely look for personal statements, and just so happen that person landed on this page on that exact 5 min period, only to purposely submit it to UCAS knowing it's been copied and they'll get rejected.
Original post by ibyghee
I don't think it's that likely for someone with ill intentions to purposely look for personal statements, and just so happen that person landed on this page on that exact 5 min period, only to purposely submit it to UCAS knowing it's been copied and they'll get rejected.

You're missing the point, google and websites can still cache the data. And yes TSR works with google search engines that's how most of their traffic ends up here.
Plagiarism detectors themselves can also cache data.
Its up to the OP whether they want to take the risk of it being autoflagged by UCASs plagiarism detector.
This happens every single year and the consensus among people who know about it is to a) never post it in the first place b) rewrite it if you do.
If OP wants to take the risk it is up to them, we can only ever advise.
Reply 19
If nobody uses it, could it still be flagged on a UCAS plagiarism checker?

Update - I think Cavy has answered it.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending