The Student Room Group

Accused of plagiarism

I got an email today saying that I might have plagiarised an essay for uni but I didn't. I wrote it all myself, did the referencing correctly.etc
Tbh I have not attended a single lecture due to personal circumstances which the uni is ok with (I look at the lecture notes and there's recordings of the lecture online anyway). Could this be a reason the lecturer thinks I plagiarised? because they don't believe I could write an essay for a class I never attended?
I have a meeting about this at the end of the month but I am just so confused...
If anyone has good plagiarism checkers where I could check myself (tried grammarly, said there is no plagiarism), that would be great :smile:
Reply 1
In itself, no, that shouldn't be a reason - especially if there is already an understanding in.place with the institution that you look at the stuff online.

It is hard for us to know any more details. Online checkers do not have access to the same databases as TurnItIn so it's not clear how useful they are.

Nobody can really give a clearer answer because the scenario is itself quite wishy washy.
Reply 2
So after being accused of plagiarising and having a meeting set up, I read the Essex uni code of conduct and they are supposed to provide me with the evidence in the original email, which they did not. I asked for the evidence and... LITERALLY every single thing highlighted by Turnitin is quotes or parts of sentences where I re-worded a quote and then referenced the og author...

Did my lecturer just not even glance at the paper before sending it to the plagiarism department or is she just stupid... what a waste of my time smh
Reply 3
Original post by budzik
So after being accused of plagiarising and having a meeting set up, I read the Essex uni code of conduct and they are supposed to provide me with the evidence in the original email, which they did not. I asked for the evidence and... LITERALLY every single thing highlighted by Turnitin is quotes or parts of sentences where I re-worded a quote and then referenced the og author...

Did my lecturer just not even glance at the paper before sending it to the plagiarism department or is she just stupid... what a waste of my time smh

Sounds like you should be ok, at least. But yeah, shouldn't have got this far from the looks of things.
Reply 4
Hi,

I am currently experiencing a similar problem and just wanted to know how it went? I have received an email for one of my modules saying that my marks do not show on Faser because my work had been flagged for suspected academic offence but it did not state exactly what for. I had emailed back to ask why it was the case but was told that an academic officer would contact me within the week or so, and told to just to wait. It’s been a week and have still not heard back so I’m getting really worried. How long did it take for them to get back to you? And how was the process like? Did you have to meet with the academic misconduct panel? & what’s the final outcome?

I would really appreciate your response and advice (if any). Thank you in advance.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I am currently experiencing a similar problem and just wanted to know how it went? I have received an email for one of my modules saying that my marks do not show on Faser because my work had been flagged for suspected academic offence but it did not state exactly what for. I had emailed back to ask why it was the case but was told that an academic officer would contact me within the week or so, and told to just to wait. It’s been a week and have still not heard back so I’m getting really worried. How long did it take for them to get back to you? And how was the process like? Did you have to meet with the academic misconduct panel? & what’s the final outcome?

I would really appreciate your response and advice (if any). Thank you in advance.

Hi! In my case, they were just not happy that I put quotes in my essay and they wanted me to rewrite some quotes in my own words (which makes no sense because they are quotes and I referenced them)... There was a meeting online but I didn't attend so they just made a decision for me to resubmit my essay with the necessary revisions. No penalty or capped marks. If your offence is more serious like you copied work maliciously without crediting, then you may get capped marks or a 0. But If you don't know why this is happening it's probably some pedantic reason that you'll just have to revise too. So don't worry too much!
Original post by budzik
I got an email today saying that I might have plagiarised an essay for uni but I didn't. I wrote it all myself, did the referencing correctly.etc
Tbh I have not attended a single lecture due to personal circumstances which the uni is ok with (I look at the lecture notes and there's recordings of the lecture online anyway). Could this be a reason the lecturer thinks I plagiarised? because they don't believe I could write an essay for a class I never attended?
I have a meeting about this at the end of the month but I am just so confused...
If anyone has good plagiarism checkers where I could check myself (tried grammarly, said there is no plagiarism), that would be great :smile:

Hi,

It's never nice to be accused of wrong doing especially when you haven't, each university's policies are slightly different.

There is a difference between plagiarism and bad academic practice - which is what some essays get pulled up on i.e. incorrect referencing etc.

I would try and get as much information on why the essay was flagged for plagiarism, asking for specific examples to be pointed out if you can and if something doesn't make sense to you ask them to explain it.

Make a note of what you did that they didn't like and just try to avoid doing similar things in the future, so you don't have to go through this again.

Take what you can from the situation and move on, onwards and upwards as they say :smile:

All the Best.

Martin
Original post by UWE Official Rep
Hi,

It's never nice to be accused of wrong doing especially when you haven't, each university's policies are slightly different.

There is a difference between plagiarism and bad academic practice - which is what some essays get pulled up on i.e. incorrect referencing etc.

I would try and get as much information on why the essay was flagged for plagiarism, asking for specific examples to be pointed out if you can and if something doesn't make sense to you ask them to explain it.

Make a note of what you did that they didn't like and just try to avoid doing similar things in the future, so you don't have to go through this again.

Take what you can from the situation and move on, onwards and upwards as they say :smile:

All the Best.

Martin

The post you're replying to is 7 months old and the OP has given an update just above your reply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending