The Student Room Group

What University should I go to Strathclyde or Heriot-Watt for Engineering

Which University should I go to, University of Strathclyde or Heriot-Watt University for Engineering (Civil)?
I have received an offer for both which I am grateful for however, I would love to hear the advice on how the teaching and course subject are taught predominantly. I'm making a big move away from family and from my past education I have been to institutions where education was really poor and I don't want this to continue hence this big step for myself. Below I have some questions if anyone could answer it would be hugely appreciated!

Was the in-person lecture helpful as the online content?
Did you understand the lecturers when they were teaching?
Was the lecturers approachable and understanding of all questions?
How are the students and people like as I'm not from Scotland?
Is there a good variety of girls and guys and are people friendly?
As an individual I am not enticed by the nightlife however, I am a foodie and are there good places near either Universities?

- Thank you :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by ks09i
Which University should I go to, University of Strathclyde or Heriot-Watt University for Engineering (Civil)?
I have received an offer for both which I am grateful for however, I would love to hear the advice on how the teaching and course subject are taught predominantly. I'm making a big move away from family and from my past education I have been to institutions where education was really poor and I don't want this to continue hence this big step for myself. Below I have some questions if anyone could answer it would be hugely appreciated!

As an individual I am not enticed by the nightlife however, I am a foodie and are there good places near either Universities?

Hi!

I totally get wanting to know a little more, when I was deciding I made pages and pages of info on word documents , making the choice is scary but honestly trust your gut instinct at the end of the day. Also any open days you can visit if possible really helps.
I just finished my first year at Heriot and while I'm not in the exact same field as you as I'm doing Computer Science & AI it's pretty close so I'll answer the best I can.

- In person lectures are everything! Most if not all lecturers put everything online so if you are ill or cant make a couple of lectures you wont fall behind but I find nothing is as good as the real thing. The lecturers I had this year would have anecdotes to go along with the material which didn't only help keep things interesting but also helped me remember certain things. As well it's just more fun going in because you get to hang out with everyone on your course.

- Yeah they were great, obviously I would of had mainly different lectures than you but I thought they were all really good. Of course you have favourites just because they teach more towards your style of learning but even when they taught in a way that isn't my preferred style I still understood what was going on fine. And I didn't mind it as I knew that some of my friends preferred that style of teaching.

- Definitely, I bombarded my lectures with emails and they never failed to answer me, depending on how many people are emailing them it might take a couple days for them to get back to you but normally I heard back within an hour, I also never felt that they were annoyed to be answering me - even when I clarify the same thing 3 times just to make sure im doing it right :smile:

- Students are great. I'm really lucky to be friends with almost everyone on my course and they are all so so nice. It's a mixture of students from Scotland, England and abroad (1/3 of our students come from outside of the UK) which is nice and no one is bothered where you come from. The only thing you might get not being from Scotland is some friendly teasing about having to pay for Uni :smile: I'll also say that Edinburgh has quickly become my favourite city, one of the reasons being that the people are the nicest and all look out for each other.

- SO much food, while I haven't explored too close to campus as I normally get the bus into town for food I have explored a bit of Edinburgh's restaurant scene and it's good. I'm also a foodie myself. You've got everything, I have found my favourite Italian and Mexican restaurants of all time in Edinburgh and you also have the Edinburgh street food which looks amazing although I haven't managed to go yet (it's worth a google), also outside of St James they have mini food festivals sometimes, an example of one was a fish market they had a couple months back where there was about 10 different stands all selling freshly cooked fish in different styles. Edinburgh is a great city for foodies.

If you have any more questions about accommodation or what to take to Uni or anything, feel free to ask!

- Jessica
1st Year, Computer Science & AI
Original post by ks09i

Hi @ks09i :biggrin: Big congrats on receiving your offers! You've got two great choices here and I'm sure you'd really enjoy your course at both.

Whereabouts are you applying from? Have you visited Scotland already or have you not had a chance to? :redface:

Hopefully I can help with some of your questions below. Our Faculty of Engineering has a fantastic reputation :h: I'm a staff member here at the University so the first three might be best answered by a student so I'll drop the link for one of our Civil Engineering Unibuddy ambassadors here: https://api.unibuddy.co/og/university-of-strathclyde/buddies/students/63fd0ecbbd5b1553b387e2a6?buddyPosition=share :smile: Get in touch with them and they'll be able to advise on your lecture and teaching queries better than I could!

We have a bit of a city mantra in Glasgow that is 'People Make Glasgow' :smile: We're known for being really friendly and welcoming and lots of people feel right at home straight away. Glasgow has been recognised as the World's Friendliest City and Glaswegians also have a really good and cheeky sense of humour. I'd say generally you'll meet people who are full of fun and looking to make new friends exactly like you will be.

Yes, we have a roughly even gender split across the University. This can skew in certain courses but we're seeing more females applying for Engineering courses every year. People are very friendly so get stuck in during Freshers Week (your induction week) and embrace lots of new opportunities to meet new people. The Student Union and our Accommodation committees organise lots of social events that week.

Glasgow is fantastic for foodies - you'd be spoiled for choice here. We're right in the city centre so we've a great location for exploring the city and everything it has to offer. Right on our doorstep we have the Merchant City - a very popular food area with lots of hidden gems. The city centre itself has so many interesting restaurants as well, and the West End and Finnieston are popular foodie finds as well. Even if you decide not to study in Glasgow - if you're a foodie I'd thoroughly recommend a visit in the future!!

Hope some of this has helped, please do reach out if you've any other questions! Massive good luck wherever you decide to study! :biggrin:

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 3
Original post by HWU StudentRep 3
Hi!

I totally get wanting to know a little more, when I was deciding I made pages and pages of info on word documents , making the choice is scary but honestly trust your gut instinct at the end of the day. Also any open days you can visit if possible really helps.
I just finished my first year at Heriot and while I'm not in the exact same field as you as I'm doing Computer Science & AI it's pretty close so I'll answer the best I can.

- In person lectures are everything! Most if not all lecturers put everything online so if you are ill or cant make a couple of lectures you wont fall behind but I find nothing is as good as the real thing. The lecturers I had this year would have anecdotes to go along with the material which didn't only help keep things interesting but also helped me remember certain things. As well it's just more fun going in because you get to hang out with everyone on your course.

- Yeah they were great, obviously I would of had mainly different lectures than you but I thought they were all really good. Of course you have favourites just because they teach more towards your style of learning but even when they taught in a way that isn't my preferred style I still understood what was going on fine. And I didn't mind it as I knew that some of my friends preferred that style of teaching.

- Definitely, I bombarded my lectures with emails and they never failed to answer me, depending on how many people are emailing them it might take a couple days for them to get back to you but normally I heard back within an hour, I also never felt that they were annoyed to be answering me - even when I clarify the same thing 3 times just to make sure im doing it right :smile:

- Students are great. I'm really lucky to be friends with almost everyone on my course and they are all so so nice. It's a mixture of students from Scotland, England and abroad (1/3 of our students come from outside of the UK) which is nice and no one is bothered where you come from. The only thing you might get not being from Scotland is some friendly teasing about having to pay for Uni :smile: I'll also say that Edinburgh has quickly become my favourite city, one of the reasons being that the people are the nicest and all look out for each other.

- SO much food, while I haven't explored too close to campus as I normally get the bus into town for food I have explored a bit of Edinburgh's restaurant scene and it's good. I'm also a foodie myself. You've got everything, I have found my favourite Italian and Mexican restaurants of all time in Edinburgh and you also have the Edinburgh street food which looks amazing although I haven't managed to go yet (it's worth a google), also outside of St James they have mini food festivals sometimes, an example of one was a fish market they had a couple months back where there was about 10 different stands all selling freshly cooked fish in different styles. Edinburgh is a great city for foodies.

If you have any more questions about accommodation or what to take to Uni or anything, feel free to ask!

- Jessica
1st Year, Computer Science & AI

Hi Jessica,

I hope you're well :smile:

Firstly, a big thank you for replying on my post and helping me with my answering all of my questions.

Computer science & AI sounds so interesting and fun, I hope you're enjoying your degree :smile:

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make a visit to the university although I would have liked too, instead I used the online virtual campus tour for guidance.

Genuinely your experience is super insightful especially with knowing that lecturers provide support to students questions as I normally have tons to ask and I'm always triple checking, it's reassuring that you feel confident to ask, even if its just to clarify just as I would :smile:
I definitely will be taking everything on board! I'm stoked to hear all the positivity it has certainly eased my nervous

I'm just going to make a list and utilise the platform of unibuddy to get more feedback from other students before making a decision. However, no matter what my decision may be I will keep a look out for the mini food festivals because by the sounds of it the food sounds just up my alley!!!

Once again I want to say I wholeheartedly appreciate your candor even though it may not be in the same field it still is a massive help in giving myself a better understanding for my next step, thank you very much!

At the moment I don't have any questions springing to mind but I will certainly ask if otherwise :smile:

Many thanks, take care Jessica.

- K
Reply 4
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hi @ks09i :biggrin: Big congrats on receiving your offers! You've got two great choices here and I'm sure you'd really enjoy your course at both.

Whereabouts are you applying from? Have you visited Scotland already or have you not had a chance to? :redface:

Hopefully I can help with some of your questions below. Our Faculty of Engineering has a fantastic reputation :h: I'm a staff member here at the University so the first three might be best answered by a student so I'll drop the link for one of our Civil Engineering Unibuddy ambassadors here: https://api.unibuddy.co/og/university-of-strathclyde/buddies/students/63fd0ecbbd5b1553b387e2a6?buddyPosition=share :smile: Get in touch with them and they'll be able to advise on your lecture and teaching queries better than I could!

We have a bit of a city mantra in Glasgow that is 'People Make Glasgow' :smile: We're known for being really friendly and welcoming and lots of people feel right at home straight away. Glasgow has been recognised as the World's Friendliest City and Glaswegians also have a really good and cheeky sense of humour. I'd say generally you'll meet people who are full of fun and looking to make new friends exactly like you will be.

Yes, we have a roughly even gender split across the University. This can skew in certain courses but we're seeing more females applying for Engineering courses every year. People are very friendly so get stuck in during Freshers Week (your induction week) and embrace lots of new opportunities to meet new people. The Student Union and our Accommodation committees organise lots of social events that week.

Glasgow is fantastic for foodies - you'd be spoiled for choice here. We're right in the city centre so we've a great location for exploring the city and everything it has to offer. Right on our doorstep we have the Merchant City - a very popular food area with lots of hidden gems. The city centre itself has so many interesting restaurants as well, and the West End and Finnieston are popular foodie finds as well. Even if you decide not to study in Glasgow - if you're a foodie I'd thoroughly recommend a visit in the future!!

Hope some of this has helped, please do reach out if you've any other questions! Massive good luck wherever you decide to study! :biggrin:

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Hi, Caitlin

I hope you're well :smile:

Thank you for replying back on my post, I really appreciate it!

I am applying from England so it's a big exciting change.
Unfortunately I have not had the chance to visit Scotland or an open day for the university but I look forward to exploring more once moving up North.

Thank you for taking the time out to answer a few of questions and directing me with utilising unibuddy which I will certainly be using :smile:

I am extremely delighted to hear the culture Glaswegians bring in welcoming people, that sounds lovely and reassuring! It's super nice hearing the growth in more female applying for engineering and the variety of both gender split on the course definitely reassuring that there is a healthy mix :smile:

Amazing, I'll definitely keep a look out for all the hidden gems and food places despite what may be my decision.

This was super helpful, thank you. I will absolutely reach out if more questions come to mind :smile:

Many thanks, take care Caitlin

- K

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending