The Student Room Group

applying to Russel group unis if my undergrad is from a non Russel group

I am going to do a bachelors in mechanical engineering at UClan
They are ranked 99th overall as a university
I wanted to know if I was to achieve a first or a 2:1 would I be able to apply for a MSc at a top university like the university of Manchester or any in London
Does it matter what university I get my degree from
Reply 1
You can easily go from a non-RG to RG. You just need a 2:1, ideally above 65%, and you should be fine.

For the top institutions, like Imperial, a First is probably better to have.
They really don't care overly much about which uni you got the degree from as long as you got good academic results (and for a PhD, ideally some good research preparation).
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
They really don't care overly much about which uni you got the degree from as long as you got good academic results (and for a PhD, ideally some good research preparation).

Thank you I was quite worried as I know that Russel groups can be hard to get into and I didn’t know if that applied to the masters where you need a degree from a certain university to get into the course
Reply 4
I'd also suggest to ensure the course of your choice is accredited by an engineering institution, such as IMechE.
For uni rankings within the UK, or RG/non-RG, it will form little if any part of the admissions process. Just apply if you meet the academic requirements.
Reply 6
Original post by ThatguyAl
I'd also suggest to ensure the course of your choice is accredited by an engineering institution, such as IMechE.

The course that I am doing is accredited by IMeche and IED
Original post by Sameerah_05
I wanted to know if I was to achieve a first or a 2:1 would I be able to apply for a MSc at a top university like the university of Manchester or any in London

If you get a 2:1 a lot of decent universities will be in range. A first and you'll be able to get into pretty much anywhere.
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger

Does university rankings affect job prospects

Not really. For investment banking and management consulting you need to go to a target university (and they all tend to be highly ranked, but that is not why they're target universities - and there are other universities that do well in league table rankings that are not target universities) to be competitive. For other sectors your degree is usually just a tick box exercise and they don't even look at your uni (or if they do, they aren't going to be scrolling through the league table rankings to see if they're 8th or 9th this year...nobody uses those except school leavers and for some reason, school university officers).

In the engineering sector a good illustration is that several of the universities consistently targeted by employers (at least, previously - I'm a bit out of the loop with that sector now but ~5-8 years ago this was the case) are not often that highly ranked generally but employers know they turn out good engineers. Places like Strathclyde, Heriot-Watt, and Lougborough all tend to have fairly good outcomes for their graduates I gather.
Reply 10

Less than degree subject chosen but yes:

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/315F/production/_98793621_graduate_earnings_640_v3-nc.png.webp
Hello, I received a 2:1 BEng mechanical engineering from UCLan and received an offer from Uni of Liverpool for MSc Mechanical Engineering so it is possible. Good luck with your future study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending