The Student Room Group

Applying to Universities not matching the entry requirements.

I'm predicted BBB in Maths, Physics and economics

I want to apply for Mechanical engineering at...

-Liverpool (AAB)
-Edinburgh (ABB-AAA)
-Leeds (A*AA)
-Sheffield with a foundation year (BBB)
-Aston University Birmingham (BBC)

I really want to apply to the top 3 unis on this list but my tutor is advising me not to because he is pretty sure I wont get an offer from any. I think Im a pretty unique application because I moved to the UK from Asia for a-levels and am originally from the UK making me an international student, and according to him and a few teachers I've shown I have a strong personnel statement.

Is it impossible to be made an offer with just BBB and a strong personnel statement? or should I completely change things up, the way I look at it is I would rather take my chances and be rejected from all 3 than not taking that chance at all because I'm pretty sure I would get into the Sheffield with foundation year and Aston course, and I can only choose two unis at the end anyway.
It's usually reasonable to apply to a couple of "aspirational" choices one or two grades above your predicted grades.

However note that the lower band for Edinburgh is for contextual/widening participation applicants - unless you meet those criteria, you would be expected to have predicted grades comparable to the standard offer which will be AAA (and Edinburgh is very competitive for most courses and most applicants exceed their standard offer). Likewise Leeds is considerably above the grades you are applying with. I would not recommend applying to Leeds or Edinburgh as a result.

Liverpool I think is a fair "aspirational" choice - definitely a bit of a stretch though.

For good engineering unis that may have slightly lower entry criteria, look at Heriot-Watt and Strathclyde.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
It's usually reasonable to apply to a couple of "aspirational" choices one or two grades above your predicted grades.

However note that the lower band for Edinburgh is for contextual/widening participation applicants - unless you meet those criteria, you would be expected to have predicted grades comparable to the standard offer which will be AAA (and Edinburgh is very competitive for most courses and most applicants exceed their standard offer). Likewise Leeds is considerably above the grades you are applying with. I would not recommend applying to Leeds or Edinburgh as a result.

Liverpool I think is a fair "aspirational" choice - definitely a bit of a stretch though.

For good engineering unis that may have slightly lower entry criteria, look at Heriot-Watt and Strathclyde.

Received an engineering offer for year 1 for A*AA for Edinburgh. Website states AAA so looks like they may want more than advertised or maybe I was unlucky. Hopefully this helps your decision. Good luck to you 😀
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3
Hi, I agree with artful lounger; I'd also consider Sheffield as they're top 10 for Mech Eng 2024, and the general things I've heard about Sheffield are that it really isn't that bad at all, especially for engineering (anyone who's heard otherwise, please add to this). I applied for one uni that was above my predicted by one grade and I was given the standard offer, however it was for a much less competitive subject that Mech Eng so I wouldn't do it unless you are confident that you can make up the difference by summer. Best of luck !
Original post by Vinl2000
Received an engineering offer for year 1 for A*AA for Edinburgh. Website states AAA so looks like they may want more than advertised or maybe I was unlucky. Hopefully this helps your decision. Good luck to you 😀

Just tagging in the OP here as you replied to my post (I wasn't applying! :smile: ):
Reply 5
Just tagging in the OP here as you replied to my post (I wasn't applying! :smile: ):

Got offers from liver pool Aston, and Glasgow (changed from Edinburgh) so far, I changed Leeds to MMU for another safety but Aston and MMU have the same entry requirements so i'm thinking of substituting it for another higher uni asap but not sure which one.
Original post by lemon321123
Got offers from liver pool Aston, and Glasgow (changed from Edinburgh) so far, I changed Leeds to MMU for another safety but Aston and MMU have the same entry requirements so i'm thinking of substituting it for another higher uni asap but not sure which one.

Are you still even able to make changes at this point? Normally I think you can only change your choices within 2 weeks of submitting the application...?
Reply 7
Are you still even able to make changes at this point? Normally I think you can only change your choices within 2 weeks of submitting the application...?

yeah managed to change it. Changed it to Leeds because I don't know any other cities. Fully aware that I probably wont get in but I wasn't going to accept MMU anyway and have 2 alternatives to it.
Reply 8
Original post by lemon321123
yeah managed to change it. Changed it to Leeds because I don't know any other cities. Fully aware that I probably wont get in but I wasn't going to accept MMU anyway and have 2 alternatives to it.

how were you able to change your university AFTER submitting your UCAS and getting offers???
Original post by Makro
how were you able to change your university AFTER submitting your UCAS and getting offers???

You can substitute choices on UCAS for 14 days after your application is submitted

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending