The Student Room Group

Psychology Help

How should I revise for A-level exams?
(edited 10 months ago)
It depends on the exam. For alevels such as maths flashcards and exam practise are good methods as it's more skill and memory based than application and knowledge.
For content heavy subjects such as biology you can buy flashcards as making them yourself takes up to much time. I then consolidated them into mind maps to help visualise information and gain a good base knowledge. This also works for english but flashcards are easier to make.
Then you have subjects such as psychology which contain both maths and knowledge. Here essay plans, flashcards and past papers may be used.

General tips learned from psychology:
Colour coding different part of spec helps memorise notes and subjects.
Having a different music playlist for each subject and topic also helps, personally I listen to different white noise.
Studying at a desk is more effective than on the floor or bed as it emulates what the exam will be like, so the tidier the better.
Learn then test yourself on what you learned to build recall, this will also make recall faster.
Regular breaks every 30mins and stay hydrated.
By building up different cues and using different methods you are also less likely to forget.
Reply 2
Original post by Silverwolf16
It depends on the exam. For alevels such as maths flashcards and exam practise are good methods as it's more skill and memory based than application and knowledge.
For content heavy subjects such as biology you can buy flashcards as making them yourself takes up to much time. I then consolidated them into mind maps to help visualise information and gain a good base knowledge. This also works for english but flashcards are easier to make.
Then you have subjects such as psychology which contain both maths and knowledge. Here essay plans, flashcards and past papers may be used.

Having a different music playlist for each subject and topic also helps, personally I listen to different white noise.
Studying at a desk is more effective than on the floor or bed as it emulates what the exam will be like, so the tidier the better.
Learn then test yourself on what you learned to build recall, this will also make recall faster.
By building up different cues and using different methods you are also less likely to forget.

Good advice i also have the same problem
Reply 3
Different strategies work for different subjects, I personally like trying to explain concepts I've learnt to others, especially with content-heavy subjects. Discussing things I had learnt with my friends outside of lessons also really helps.
Blurting is another strategy that really helps and has a similar principle. Without looking at your notes, write down what you remember from a topic, then look back at your notes to identify what you didn't remember.
Practice papers are also great. Make sure to do some practice papers as this will make you familiar with how questions are worded in the exam. Doing practice papers also helps you identify strengths and weaknesses.
I personally also love watching videos, if there's a particular topic you need help with then a video might be able to help you understand it. You can also find lots of summary videos.
And finally make sure you know what's actually in the spec, learning content that's not in the spec can waste a lot of time (speaking from experience).
Reply 4
Original post by Silverwolf16

Great tips, taking breaks is definitely important.
As for flashcards, you can find some that other people have made on websites such as Quizlet and Cram.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending