The Student Room Group

Help! Idk what A level to drop!

My school made me do 4 a levels for 4 months. I do bio chem eng lit and psych. I am dead set on medicine so chem and bio are non negotiable, But between literature and psychology i dont know which to drop. I’m good at both but i feel literature wont benefit me in the long run but the lessons are very interesting and it forces me to expand my knowledge on certain things. I also like psychology, but it isnt a very stimulating subject for me. Any advice?
Original post by chemicalmira201
My school made me do 4 a levels for 4 months. I do bio chem eng lit and psych. I am dead set on medicine so chem and bio are non negotiable, But between literature and psychology i dont know which to drop. I’m good at both but i feel literature wont benefit me in the long run but the lessons are very interesting and it forces me to expand my knowledge on certain things. I also like psychology, but it isnt a very stimulating subject for me. Any advice?

In which of English Literature and Psychology are you likely to get the best grade?
Original post by DataVenia
In which of English Literature and Psychology are you likely to get the best grade?

Both! Thats the problem… But if i were to guarantee… I think would be psychology because it’s only memorisation
Both! Thats the problem… But if i were to guarantee… I think would be psychology because it’s only memorisation

Then you have your answer. :smile:

Hi there

It is nice to hear that you already have an idea of what you want to do in University. I think one thing that is important is interest in a subject- it would motivate you to put more effort and study harder in the subject. English may be helpful, as it gives you skills in essay writing. This would allow you to build strong foundations for University coursework. Though I know psychology can also be helpful (although I have not taken the subject myself). :smile:

I think another thing that you can consider when dropping a subject is what grades you are likely to achieve. For medicine, you would need good A levels, so perhaps you would consider dropping the subject you are weaker in?

I hope this helps. :smile:
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Keep psychology
Reply 6
Which is likely to get you the highest grade?
And that is usually the one you enjoy the most.

Hi @chemicalmira201 ,

If you are choosing between literature and Psychology (both of which will have transferable skills) for medicine I would maybe lean towards doing Psychology if you enjoy it. This is because you will be working with people (in any industry too) so it would be helpful to know a bit more about people and to develop your empathy skills as well as understanding.

I do have to say that I am a final year psychology student so my reason for doing Psychology is based on my experience of a-level and my knowledge of how it would relate so I would advise asking someone who has done English Literature at A-level as to what they think to get both sides!

All the best and good luck.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest