The Student Room Group

where can i do some psychology work for my personal statement?

I'm looking to do some psychology work outside the classroom which I could then put into my personal statement, but I'm not really sure where I can go or what I can do to achieve this?
Psychology is an academic degree. Work experience isn’t required or helpful in your PS. Your PS should be focused on your academic interests and activities around that (further reading, podcasts/documentaries on psychology topics, moocs on psychology topics)
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Psychology is an academic degree. Work experience isn’t required or helpful in your PS. Your PS should be focused on your academic interests and activities around that (further reading, podcasts/documentaries on psychology topics, moocs on psychology topics)

okay brilliant thank you
Original post by ionamuir2007
I'm looking to do some psychology work outside the classroom which I could then put into my personal statement, but I'm not really sure where I can go or what I can do to achieve this?

Hi!:yy:
Psychology is an amazing and broad course with so much to talk about in a personal statement! If you are looking for some psychology related work experience I would look at becoming a support worker. There are many different types and many different client bases to work with! During my undergraduate degree I became a support worker for adults with autism and I loved it! It has helped strengthen my CV especially when applying for post graduate jobs. I am now a psychological wellbeing masters student and a research assistant in mental health! :h:

Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions!
Best of luck
Hannah:bear:
Psychology Masters Student
DMU Student Ambassador

Hey,

Just wanted to add you could also do online courses (that’s what I did) on platforms such as Futurelearn - they offer short courses held by other universities. This can help to show your interest exploring specific areas of psychology :smile:

Best of luck with everything!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (2nd year PhD Psychology)

Hi! You don't necessarily need work experience for psychology degrees, depending on where you apply some places don't even expect an A Level in the subject. However, if getting some work experience is something you feel would help you in the future, I recommend volunteering for charities that work with mental illness, learning difficulties, and disabled individuals. Additionally, if you are interested in developmental psychology, it may be beneficial to work at a nursery or playgroup to get some experience with that age group. To improve your academic knowledge, you can do some free online courses (I personally completed a couple from the Open University), watch plenty of documentaries and read some books! I found my main passion in cognitive and biological psychology from reading books such as The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat (by Oliver Sacks) and Say Why To Drugs (by Suzi Gage).
Hope this helps! Good luck on your applications.
-Kat (2nd year psychology student, Lancaster University)
Hi!

There is a great video done by UCAS which helps you shape your personal statement

Personal statements Finding a formula - YouTube

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest