The Student Room Group

Applying for both optometry and biomedical science (2024) Should I do it?

The a levels I currently do are biology, psychology and business. My plan always was to study psychology at uni but long story short, I got diagnosed with a debilitating eye disease which sparked my interest in optometry and disease prevention. I can only apply to UWE Bristol and Plymouth uni for optometry because I don't do chemistry or physics. It's obviously risky to apply to only 2 unis and the grades I need are quite high (AAB/ABB and I'm predicted AAA but I don't know if I'll get those grades.) So I'm also applying to 3 unis for biomedical science since I'm interested in the human body and it's quite a broad degree. I've written most of my personal statement and I've linked optometry and biomed together well but I'm worried I won't get in to any unis because I didn't pick one course. I've done work experience at optometry clinics and I'm doing the Nuffield Research Placement in July but my research topic doesn't directly relate to biomed or optometry (it's about lily cells, they give you the topic) so I'm worried unis won't accept me because my personal statement isn't completely focused on one course. Am I screwing myself over by applying for 2 different courses? Also adding my research about the structural changes that occur to lilly cells to allow the plant to open feels a bit random to add to my personal statement? I know the NRP is very useful but I'm just so worried.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by khadijac2004
The a levels I currently do are biology, psychology and business. My plan always was to study psychology at uni but long story short, I got diagnosed with a debilitating eye disease which sparked my interest in optometry and disease prevention. I can only apply to UWE Bristol and Plymouth uni for optometry because I don't do chemistry or physics. It's obviously risky to apply to only 2 unis and the grades I need are quite high (AAB/ABB and I'm predicted AAA but I don't know if I'll get those grades.) So I'm also applying to 3 unis for biomedical science since I'm interested in the human body and it's quite a broad degree. I've written most of my personal statement and I've linked optometry and biomed together well but I'm worried I won't get in to any unis because I didn't pick one course. I've done work experience at optometry clinics and I'm doing the Nuffield Research Placement in July but my research topic doesn't directly relate to biomed or optometry (it's about lily cells, they give you the topic) so I'm worried unis won't accept me because my personal statement isn't completely focused on one course. Am I screwing myself over by applying for 2 different courses? Also adding my research about the structural changes that occur to lilly cells to allow the plant to open feels a bit random to add to my personal statement? I know the NRP is very useful but I'm just so worried.

Many people apply to more than one course for university so try not to worry about that too much, if you want to make sure that your personal statement is as relevant as it could be to the course your applying for it may be useful to write two different personal statements and contact the universities separately to send them the relevant one, you may have to check that the universities you are applying for accept this though. Admissions staff will likely be looking for a personal statement that stands out, therefore keeping in the research about the lilly cells would allow them to see that you are doing further research beyond your A level subjects, to make sure it ties in with the rest of your personal statement I would suggest linking it biomedical science and why you want to study it, as everything you mention in your personal statement should be connected to your reason for applying to the course. I would also suggest ensuring your personal statement has a clear structure. Try to stay relaxed although it must be a very stressful time for you, as long as you are doing your best you are halfway there, good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Do not try and write one Personal Statement for two totally different courses - ever.

Apply to the two Optometry Unis first with a firmly 'Optometry' Personal Statement - as early as you can in Sept/Oct.
This gives you the best chance of knowing where you stand with those applications as early as possible - ie. interview and/or offer - so that you can then make a decision about what to do with your other choices.

Remember that you dont have to add all your 5 choices at once - so you can still add your other three (Biomed) choices between then and 31 January. So, you need to email several Biomed Unis now and ask if they will accept a 2nd Personal Statement sent directly to them - not all will. You can then add your preferred Biomed choices on UCAS before 31 January knowing that they will consider your application.

PS. Get some relevant work experience for Optometry / Ophthalmology over the summer - it isnt enough to have been a patient - you need to be more objective about this as a potential career - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/optometrist. Its also worth doing some 'Moocs' - free short online courses - that you can use a examples of how you have found out more about this area - example https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/seeing-how-the-brain-creates-the-visual-world
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Do not try and write one Personal Statement for two totally different courses - ever.

Apply to the two Optometry Unis first with a firmly 'Optometry' Personal Statement - as early as you can in Sept/Oct.
This gives you the best chance of knowing where you stand with those applications as early as possible - ie. interview and/or offer - so that you can then make a decision about what to do with your other choices.

Remember that you dont have to add all your 5 choices at once - so you can still add your other three (Biomed) choices between then and 31 January. So, you need to email several Biomed Unis now and ask if they will accept a 2nd Personal Statement sent directly to them - not all will. You can then add your preferred Biomed choices on UCAS before 31 January knowing that they will consider your application.

PS. Get some relevant work experience for Optometry / Ophthalmology over the summer - it isnt enough to have been a patient - you need to be more objective about this as a potential career - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/optometrist. Its also worth doing some 'Moocs' - free short online courses - that you can use a examples of how you have found out more about this area - example https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/seeing-how-the-brain-creates-the-visual-world

Thank you for replying! I forgot to add that I've done a week of placement at an Optometry clinic so I've talked about that in my personal statement too. Also, what if the Unis I want to apply to for biomed don't accept a 2nd personal statement? How slim are my chances of getting into biomed and optom if my personal statement is about both?
Reply 4
, what if the Unis I want to apply to for biomed don't accept a 2nd personal statement?
How slim are my chances of getting into biomed and optom if my personal statement is about both?

1) Thats is why you need to check with each Uni before you apply.

2) For any vocational course like Optometry you need to show 100% commitment to that course and career. How can you do that if if your PS is muddled up with Biomed? And for Biomed, they will quickly realise you dont want to do 'their' course because you are writing about Optometry. You risk not getting an offer for anything.
Reply 5
1) Thats is why you need to check with each Uni before you apply.

2) For any vocational course like Optometry you need to show 100% commitment to that course and career. How can you do that if if your PS is muddled up with Biomed? And for Biomed, they will quickly realise you dont want to do 'their' course because you are writing about Optometry. You risk not getting an offer for anything.

Thanks for your advice I'm going to that then instead. What exactly do I say in the email to the unis for biomed when im asking if i can send them a second personal statement? I don't want them to know that biomed is just a backup for if I don't get in for optometry.
Reply 6
"I'm applying for two different subjects. Would it be possible for me to send you a second Personal Statement?"

Lots of people do this - Medicine applicants for instance can only apply to 4 Med choices and so their 5th choice will always be a different subject. Yes, some Unis will not allow 2nd PS, but many will - including Bath btw.
Reply 7
"I'm applying for two different subjects. Would it be possible for me to send you a second Personal Statement?"

Lots of people do this - Medicine applicants for instance can only apply to 4 Med choices and so their 5th choice will always be a different subject. Yes, some Unis will not allow 2nd PS, but many will - including Bath btw.

Okay I'll start emailing them today, thanks so much for your help!
Reply 8

I don't understand what they mean in this email, I thought you could only submit one personal statement on UCAS?
Reply 9
They mean that you can submit a 2nd PS DIRECTLY to that University after you have submitted your application to UCAS..

I don't understand what they mean in this email, I thought you could only submit one personal statement on UCAS?
Reply 10
Hi, there's actually 3 uni's ur able to apply to. Cardiff do a preliminary year for optometry, though it is a 5 year integrated masters degree.
The entry requirement is 'max 1 science', if you only do one science out of bio, chem, physics, maths- so you'd be eligible.
I am planning to apply to this and then for my 4 other choices as biological science.

I went to see Cardiff open day yesterday and I loved their optometry department, I asked one of the optometry professors if i could submit a separate PS to them as my alevel subjects (bio, geography, rs) wouldn't be accepted by any other optom uni - he said it was fine. (though I'm not sure how it actually works, I am going to ask my school though).
https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/course/master-of-optometry-with-preliminary-year-5-year
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending