The Student Room Group

Do I really need a lot of stationery supplies?

I'm studying Drama this September and so many sites recommend bringing so much stationery with you to university, do I really need to bring that much?

I'll be living at home still, my original thoughts was to bring a calendar, laptop, a4 notebook - just in case I need it, a pen textbooks, a folder and other things would be my phone, keys, water bottle, deodorant and that's about it.
I'm just curious as to do I actually need more stationery than I think so many sites I come across recommend a lot to bring.
Original post by Bournemouth24
I'm studying Drama this September and so many sites recommend bringing so much stationery with you to university, do I really need to bring that much?

I'll be living at home still, my original thoughts was to bring a calendar, laptop, a4 notebook - just in case I need it, a pen textbooks, a folder and other things would be my phone, keys, water bottle, deodorant and that's about it.
I'm just curious as to do I actually need more stationery than I think so many sites I come across recommend a lot to bring.

I thought I'd use stationery and when I moved out of halls yesterday I only just realised how much stationery I didn't use!
Overall I think it depends on whether you do take a lot of physical notes or if you're all digital but it is useful to have at least 1 folder for general bits and pieces e.g. if you get post or write things on flashcards or get lab instructions (or scripts if you're doing drama).
(edited 10 months ago)

Hello,

I personally barely needed any stationery at uni. This was mainly because I prefer electronic copies over hard copies. I also used to do a lot of my revision from the online lecture and tutorial material provided. It all depends on your preferences. I also noticed students with Ipads didn't need a lot of the stationery required for note taking, or even sketching/drawing. Just a bit of stationery will be enough if you are going to use conventional note-taking using pen and paper (like me!)

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Hey there @Bournemouth24 !
You really don't need as much stationery at university as you did at sixth form. On a usual day at university where I have lectures, the only things I bring are my laptop, keys, a water bottle, a pen just incase, my laptop and phone charger, deodorant, my phone and sometimes a snack. I rarely do any writing and if I do it'll be on my laptop so there's no need to even bring paper. There is people on my course that opt for paper notes rather than on the laptop so it's not like if you prefer that you'd be the only one doing it. However, a lot of people just use their laptops these days.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 4

No, you don't.

I bought a huge pack of black biro pens when I went to Sheffield and I wasn't even half-way through when I finished.
@Bournemouth24

Don't stress about buying lots of stationary. I don't think your subject requires it!

You can normally pick up stationary at a good price at your Student Union shop at your university.

You just need something to take or make notes on and a place to store them ( but that doesn't mean you need to carry a ringbinder around, you just need to file your notes when you get home).

You don't want to carrying around lots of heavy stuff throughout the day so keep the items you bring to a minimum.

Think about how heavy/light your laptop is and then decide what and how much you want to carry.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi @Bournemouth24 ,

As a Cyber Security student I am happy to share my experience with you :smile:
It really depends on your prefferable style of learning. Speaking of me, I do not bring anything to lectures and practicals except my laptop. I prefer digital notes and use Notion to keep my notes. The advantage is that you can access your notes from your phone as well. Also, my typing speed is much higher than writing.

To conclude, it depends on a person. I only bring my laptop and that's totally enough for me. Some people enjoy writing and tend to remember things better when writing them down. :smile:

Take care,
- Ilya :biggrin:

Hi @Bournemouth24,

From my experience, I study a creative degree at Chester (Photography) and the only stationary I found myself using was my laptop, notebook, and a pen. Sometimes I would use a pencil for sketches but primarily my work would be online. Not sure if this is the same for your course? Having a calendar though would be so useful! This why you an keep track of important dates and keeping on-top of your schedule.

I bought a pencil case at the beginning of the year but I never find myself using all the stuff in it - unless you love highlighting! Then I’d recommend getting a case. Having a case for your laptop would probably be good to have just to be safe. I also have one last thing to keep my notes and paper copies organised - a binder! This way I can keep track of things in order and keep my files and documents safe too.

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie
Only buy stuff you are actually going to use. For many university students their stationery needs begin and end with a pad of paper and a couple of pens. Any additional things like file folders, binders, highlighters, sticky tape, etc, are all really at your discretion.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending