The Student Room Group

How much should I pack.

I'm goin got uni!! How much should I pack? Should I bring everything from home?
Reply 1
are your parents helping you and if so is their car reasonably spacious?

you want to pack things you always need (clothes, but not the ones you dont wear anymore, etc)
you may want to pack things you're going to need (eg kitchenware) but you can always buy this on arrival
you could pack things you don't need but might want (eg random personal things like walking boots) but you may decide you wont be needing these things

just a few pointers
Nothing
Reply 3
Original post by HoldThisL
are your parents helping you and if so is their car reasonably spacious?

you want to pack things you always need (clothes, but not the ones you dont wear anymore, etc)
you may want to pack things you're going to need (eg kitchenware) but you can always buy this on arrival
you could pack things you don't need but might want (eg random personal things like walking boots) but you may decide you wont be needing these things

just a few pointers

How many clothes should I pack tho?
Reply 4
Original post by Sallysmol
How many clothes should I pack tho?

crystal ball says 2

Hey @Sallysmol,
Congratulations on starting uni and moving out. There are many different lists available online that different platforms and universities have made so maybe have a quick google and check on uni websites. Here is a link to one made by UCAS: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/student-life/starting-university-or-college/list-absolutely-everything-you-need-take-university-or-college
My advice is that you don't need everything.... you won't have space! Most halls or other accommodations that students tend to have are not that big and so it is unlikely all your possessions will fit. Plus you don't want to have to carry it all on day 1. Whatever you don't take you can always choose to get at a future date.
Some things I would say are essential:
Your tech (Phone, Laptop, Headphones etc plus don't forget the CHARGERS!)
Clothes and shoes
Toiletries and any medications
Bedding
Comforts and decor - a blanket, fairy lights, posters.... whatever will bring you happiness and calm and make you feel at home
Big bag / laundry bag

Best wishes for moving out and staring uni and hope you have a great time!
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador

Hi there,
Congrats on getting into uni! Now the fun of packing can begin. I'd definitely consider only taking the essentials. You're likely to accumulate so much stuff throughout the academic year. Consider what mode of transport you're taking to uni (i.e. whether you're going by car, train etc.) as this may impact what you can fit. Also the distance between home and uni, as you may be able to travel back to pick up more if needed or have your family post things you've forgotten to you.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Hey! Congrats on getting into uni :woo:

As an over-packer myself don't pack everything unless you're a minimalist :yep: Regarding packing try and go for boxes or crates rather than bags with a zip and IKEA bags (except for duvets and bed sheets). Boxes and crates stack and store really well opposed to bags. Many bags I've had since first year now have a broken zip, or are holey. They're not great at transporting stuff unless there's soft stuff inside like clothes or bed sheets.

Clothes wise I packed about 2 weeks' worth of clothes in a 60L backpack which included quite a lot of loungewear as eventually you just end up going to the library in it :rofl: Don't pack too many shoes. Nobody wears high heels, but crocs surprisingly are quite popular!

You'll need to bring kitchen stuff, bedroom stuff, bathroom stuff, and tech devices, plus important documents, ID, medication etc. There are some really good lists online :yep: Places like Dunelmn and Ikea do student discount, some Wilko stores have sales at the moment as well.

Remember if you've got someone driving you to uni, you can only take as much as what will fit in the vehicle transporting you. Plus when you're at uni I guarantee you will accumulate stuff when you're there :biggrin: I think me and nearly all my flatmates left with more stuff than we entered with :hide:
(edited 8 months ago)

Hi @Sallysmol,

Congratulations! I’d say it's important to strike a balance between bringing essentials and avoiding overpacking. Here are some tips to help you decide what to bring:

1. Essentials: Pack the essentials you'll need for daily life, such as clothing, toiletries, bedding, and important documents (ID, bank details, etc.).

2. Clothing: Bring clothing appropriate for the climate and activities at your university. Don't forget versatile pieces that can be mixed and matched.

3. Study Materials: Bring notebooks, stationery, and a laptop if necessary for your studies.

4. Kitchen Items: If you're living in self-catered accommodation, consider bringing basic kitchen items like utensils, cookware, and dishes.

5. Personal Items: Bring sentimental or comfort items that will make your new space feel like home.

6. Seasonal Items: Pack seasonally appropriate items like winter coats or summer swimwear, depending on the time of year. Remember, you’ll visit home from time to time so you can take back and retrieve items you need.

7. Electronics: Bring chargers for your devices and any electronics you'll need, but avoid overloading on gadgets.

8. Medications: If you have prescription medications, be sure to pack an adequate supply.

9. Books and Hobbies: Bring a few books or items related to your hobbies, but don't overburden yourself with too many extras.

Keep in mind that many things can be purchased locally if you find you need them once you arrive. Prioritize what you truly need and consider the available storage space in your accommodation. Over time, you'll get a better sense of what you might need and can adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps,
Ellie

Congratulations @Sallysmol this is amazing to hear! 🎉🎉🎉

Try not bring absolutely everything haha, I know it's tempting. I'd say storage boxes to help keep things neat and organised, extension leads, hangers, corkscrew, pack of cards as a fun icebreaker activity with your flatmates, laundry basket, earplugs and eye mask, slippers, hot water bottle, reusable water bottle, mattress protector, student recipe book, plasters and first aid kit, nail file and scissors, a door wedge so you can make conversation when your flatmates walk past, batteries.

I hope you have a fab uni experience, I'm sure you will. What are you most looking forward to about starting? :smile:

Becky

Hi! Congratulations in getting into uni, I hope you have an amazing time!

I would suggest just taking the things you know you will use along with a few decorative pieces to make your space feel a bit more homely. In terms of clothes you will need to consider the weather where you are studying as well as clothes for nights out, if that is something you plan to do, or sports clothes if you plan to join a society.
If you plan to visit home a lot during term time consider packing less from home as you can always pick up anything you might need when you visit.
I hope this is helpful, Faye :smile:

Yayy, you did it!
First of all, check what is included in your accommodation so you're not bringing duplicates of things

Although it may be tempting to bring lots of stuff with you, make sure you only bring the essentials. Your move-in day will be much smoother as a result, and your room won’t be filled with clutter you don’t need! Lists are always a good place to start, particularly if you split them into categories of the things you need. To start you off, you could consider packing the following:

Bedroom
Bedding (pillowcase, bed sheet, duvet cover)
Clothes and shoes (consider what is appropriate, for example clothes to wrap up in if it’s winter, lighter clothing for summer, etc.)
Coat hangers, clothes airer, laundry bag
Comfort items (for example, your favourite teddy, family photos, or anything you think will help if you get homesick)

Kitchen
Crockery (plates, cups, dishes, mugs, glasses)
Pots and pans
Cutlery
Tupperware boxes (use your leftovers the next day and save those pennies)
Chopping board and a good sharp knife
Scissors, wooden spoon, cheese grater, can opener, spatula
Baking trays and oven gloves
Measuring cups
Colander or a sieve

Bathroom
Towels
Personal care products (shower gel, shampoo, etc.)

Study essentials
Laptop
Desk lamp
Notebooks
Textbooks
Stationery

And finally, don’t forget your electronics (headphones, laptop, tablet, chargers, etc.) or anything related to your hobbies (sports gear, books, etc.)!

Good luck!

Hi there @Sallysmol,

Amazing news that you are going to uni, congratulations! 🎉

When it comes to packing for university try not bring too much as you can usually buy most supplies cheaply and easily once you have arrived. Most university accommodations will supply toasters and kettles in their halls’ kitchens.

Here are a few essential you will need:
- Your own bedding including pillows
- Clothing
- Laundry basket
- Any electronics you will need
- Towels
- Toiletries including toilet roll
- A small amount of crockery and cutlery as there may be limited kitchen space
- Bottle and can openers
- Pots, pans and basic utensils
- Tea towels
- Any important documents you may need

It's also nice to pack some home comforts too such as any plants, cushions, fairy lights, photos frames of family and friends to make your accommodation feel a bit more like home.

Hope you have a great time at university! 😊

All the best,
Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending