The Student Room Group

Vet school essentials

hi! i’m going to Harper & Keele vet school in september, and i’m currently trying to prepare everything i need.

I’ve got all the halls essentials, just nothing for first year vet med, or stationary yet.

If anyone knows what stationary is absolutely essential, and a must buy, please let me know! That’s probably the area i’m least prepared in.

And vet school essentials too, If anyone has a list of them for first year, that’d be amazing too!!

thank you!! 😊
Stationary wise most people get by with a laptop and/or tablet mostly. I personally love handwriting notes so I have plenty notepads but most people don’t recommend that approach as it’s more time consuming for most people. Having some paper and colouring pencils is useful for any anatomy drawings, and my personal lifeline is a whiteboard too so I can test myself on and draw anatomy. Don’t buy any vet books etc as more than likely the library will have them.

For other stuff, all vet schools I believe need some basics for farm such as wellies, overalls, waterproof coat and bottoms - but some stipulate certain colours or may provide some stuff, so I would look on the unis website to see if they have an equipment list - one may be released closer to the time though. If you can get things second hand I would - animals will ruin your clothes anyway, check eBay and fb marketplace and the like. The uni may also have a “uni shop” with branded coats, tops etc that aren’t essential but may be nicer to wait for if you want to buy new things. I also really like warm waterproof gloves for winter placements outside like on farms, they’re not very expensive on eBay. Stethoscopes I believe aren’t necessary until 3rd or 4th year at most unis.
Stationery :wink:

e for envelope
Original post by dazzymc
hi! i’m going to Harper & Keele vet school in september, and i’m currently trying to prepare everything i need.

I’ve got all the halls essentials, just nothing for first year vet med, or stationary yet.

If anyone knows what stationary is absolutely essential, and a must buy, please let me know! That’s probably the area i’m least prepared in.

And vet school essentials too, If anyone has a list of them for first year, that’d be amazing too!!

thank you!! 😊

Depending on how you learn best a good laptop or tablet, or lots of notebooks and pens! Your learning style may change at university so you may do a bit of both or prefer one or the other. I used my laptop a lot when I was a student and then did handwritten notes when it came to revising.

Vet school essentials wise most vet schools will provide you with a list, some will provide equipment etc. Some vet schools also have a uni shop to get branded clothing (liverpool we had a shop and we sold hoodies/t-shirts, coats, overalls waterproofs etc).

In short the stuff I had when I was a student:
Steel toe capped wellies
Steel toe capped boots
Overalls
Waterproofs
Lab coat
Scrub top/scrub set for EMS placements
Stethoscope
Thermometer (didn’t really use until rotations)
Little notepads and pens to make notes on placements
Reply 4
Search Google for HKVS fees and charges and you'll find a list of equipment and the cost of it , think it's on page 11/12

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending