The Student Room Group

Art A level advice please!

Hey, want to take Art (AQA) this upcoming September and I did it at GCSE level but everything was provided for you but A levels I don’t know what to or not to bring.

So what would you say are things you need for Art?
What kind of bag should you take? Tote? Bag?
How many sketchbooks would you need? etc.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by blacada
Hey, want to take Art (AQA) this upcoming September and I did it at GCSE level but everything was provided for you but A levels I don’t know what to or not to bring.

Thanks!

Hey there,

I took A-Level Art and Design (Graphic Communication) under the AQA exam board so I can try answer this question.

My college's art department had everything we needed from cameras, drawing tablets and art supplies so there were days where I wouldn't even need to bring any supplies from home. The best thing to do would be to wait until your lessons begin because your teacher would give you guidance on what you would need for the course, you may need to provide your own sketchbooks for your projects or your own supplies if the art department doesn't have them.

Compared to GCSE, you will complete two projects:

Component 1 - Personal Investigation which includes a 1000-3000 word Personal Study essay which is analytical writing. Your project will focus on a theme that you pick (with guidance from your teacher) that you will explore in-depth with experimentation, research, analysis and ending with a final piece. This is worth 60% of your grade.

Component 2 - Externally Set Assignment which you get given a set of briefs from the exam board where you have to create a project relating to one of them. You get a preparatory period for research, gallery visits etc but you only get 15 hours for your final piece which would be conducted in class without any assistance from your teacher. This is worth 40% of your grade.

Majority of the first year was to help get everyone up to spec with the skills required for the course since my college didn't have GCSE Art as an entry requirement.

I had three different sketchbooks throughout the course, all A3 in size. One for the first year work, and one for each of the projects. When I did need to take them home to finish work, I had one of those A3 portfolio cases that I had bought from Amazon. :smile: Hope this is helpful!
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Aceful
Hey there,

I took A-Level Art and Design (Graphic Communication) under the AQA exam board so I can try answer this question.

My college's art department had everything we needed from cameras, drawing tablets and art supplies so there were days where I wouldn't even need to bring any supplies from home. The best thing to do would be to wait until your lessons begin because your teacher would give you guidance on what you would need for the course, you may need to provide your own sketchbooks for your projects or your own supplies if the art department doesn't have them.

Compared to GCSE, you will complete two projects:

Component 1 - Personal Investigation which includes a 1000-3000 word Personal Study essay which is analytical writing. Your project will focus on a theme that you pick (with guidance from your teacher) that you will explore in-depth with experimentation, research, analysis and ending with a final piece. This is worth 60% of your grade.

Component 2 - Externally Set Assignment which you get given a set of briefs from the exam board where you have to create a project relating to one of them. You get a preparatory period for research, gallery visits etc but you only get 15 hours for your final piece which would be conducted in class without any assistance from your teacher. This is worth 40% of your grade.

Majority of the first year was to help get everyone up to spec with the skills required for the course since my college didn't have GCSE Art as an entry requirement.

I had three different sketchbooks throughout the course, all A3 in size. One for the first year work, and one for each of the projects. When I did need to take them home to finish work, I had one of those A3 portfolio cases that I had bought from Amazon. :smile: Hope this is helpful!

Thank you, this is REALLY helpful and yes that makes with the preparation. Which portfolio case would you recommend from Amazon and would you have to carry it around school or keep it in the classroom?

I was planning to get a tote bag so that I wouldn’t have to carry extra bags and some art students have been recommending the Urban Outfitters Courdroy tote bag but just want a backpack or tote bag that can carry all my art supplies plus my other a level courses without having extras.

Can I ask what other a levels you did and how you balanced your time with Art or how organised your bag to not overwhelm yourself?
Reply 3
Original post by blacada
Thank you, this is REALLY helpful and yes that makes with the preparation. Which portfolio case would you recommend from Amazon and would you have to carry it around school or keep it in the classroom?

I was planning to get a tote bag so that I wouldn’t have to carry extra bags and some art students have been recommending the Urban Outfitters Courdroy tote bag but just want a backpack or tote bag that can carry all my art supplies plus my other a level courses without having extras.

Can I ask what other a levels you did and how you balanced your time with Art or how organised your bag to not overwhelm yourself?

No worries, I don't have any specific recommendation for a portfolio case. Mine is just a generic black one. As long as it can hold your sketchbooks + supplies it will do the job. Could possibly find cheap ones in stores like Wilko, Range or The Works. I would just leave it in the classroom and take it home whenever I needed to. Which was pretty often towards the end of the second year.

Yeah I understand. All of my A-Level subjects were in the same room (I did A-Level Photography and Media Studies) which made it convenient for me that on some days I wouldn't even need to bring a bag if I wasn't bringing anything from home. I say to just get a bag that would be reliable for the whole two years and you wouldn't mind carrying around school if you need to walk to other classrooms or buildings. What other subjects will you be doing?

All of my subjects linked well. I found it that when I did work I ended up doing it for all three of my subjects. For example in Photography my exam board was Eduqas and when I did gallery visits or artist research pages I could just recreate the pages again in the other subject's sketchbook if it fit my project. I would also incorporate photoshoots within my graphics sketchbook and adding graphics over photography in my photography sketchbook. The only downside to doing these two coursework subjects was it resulted in me having six A3 sketchbooks in total which luckily I would only have to take max two home at a time. :tongue:

If you are doing art alongside two essay based or academic subjects, My top tip to not overwhelm yourself is to stay on top of your coursework! A lot of people in my photography or graphics classes would be behind on their coursework and they would have to spend hours at home or during their free lessons catching up while also having to revise for other subjects. Even if you are up to date with your coursework, I would always try do a little extra in your free time if you can.
Reply 4
Original post by blacada

Thanks!

Hi! I just finished A level art this year, personally I didn’t even know I was going to do art as I switched subjects on my first day, so I know how it can feel like you're unprepared. For starters I’d say you need just the basic supplies, pencils and acrylic paints are really all you’ll need. Most colleges will supply some art supplies, if not your lecturer should tell you early on what exactly you’ll need. I know I bought a lot of supplies with me every day that I rarely needed and never ended up using. For bags I’d say a backpack, that way you’ll be able to carry around books for your other courses, but I do know some of my friends who had a tote bag for all two years. Finally, you should need two sketchbooks for first year, one for the first and and the other for the second. I had a A4 ring bided boom which is really recommend so you can tie in reference images. Good luck in art! I’m sure you’ll really enjoy the course :smile:
Original post by Lars.pod
Hi! I just finished A level art this year, personally I didn’t even know I was going to do art as I switched subjects on my first day, so I know how it can feel like you're unprepared. For starters I’d say you need just the basic supplies, pencils and acrylic paints are really all you’ll need. Most colleges will supply some art supplies, if not your lecturer should tell you early on what exactly you’ll need. I know I bought a lot of supplies with me every day that I rarely needed and never ended up using. For bags I’d say a backpack, that way you’ll be able to carry around books for your other courses, but I do know some of my friends who had a tote bag for all two years. Finally, you should need two sketchbooks for first year, one for the first and and the other for the second. I had a A4 ring bided boom which is really recommend so you can tie in reference images. Good luck in art! I’m sure you’ll really enjoy the course :smile:

Thank you so much!
About the sketchbooks, so I would need 4 in total during the 3 years? and which affordable but good ones would you recommend bc I used pink pig sketchbooks at GCSE but other brands might be better.

For bags, yes I’m considering backpacks because idk many good quality tote bags and do you mind me asking about your other A levels and how you balanced out time for all of them?
Reply 6
Original post by blacada
Thank you so much!
About the sketchbooks, so I would need 4 in total during the 3 years? and which affordable but good ones would you recommend bc I used pink pig sketchbooks at GCSE but other brands might be better.

For bags, yes I’m considering backpacks because idk many good quality tote bags and do you mind me asking about your other A levels and how you balanced out time for all of them?

No problem! so i would definitely go for pink pig as my friend used them and found them really good, i would also just get one at the start as the amount you use could vary, for example I used three between the two years.

I also took psychology and criminology, which was really good because i had less exams at the end of my last year. the art exam is at the start of may while other subjects are usually june or july, so you shouldn’t have much of a time problem there. Otherwise, first year art is more learning then exam based, so i’d focus on revising other subjects a little more, once we started the actually marked portion i stayed through my free periods and after college to get everything done. hope this helps!!
Original post by Lars.pod
No problem! so i would definitely go for pink pig as my friend used them and found them really good, i would also just get one at the start as the amount you use could vary, for example I used three between the two years.

I also took psychology and criminology, which was really good because i had less exams at the end of my last year. the art exam is at the start of may while other subjects are usually june or july, so you shouldn’t have much of a time problem there. Otherwise, first year art is more learning then exam based, so i’d focus on revising other subjects a little more, once we started the actually marked portion i stayed through my free periods and after college to get everything done. hope this helps!!

Yes, it does. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest