The Student Room Group

commuting from west sussex to london for uni

Hi - im in first year at roehampton uni and tbh ive hated living in accom, i love london and my course is okay i guess but im seriously considering commuting from home next year. it takes about an hour and 45 minutes from worthing to barnes and just wondering if anyone else commutes with a similar journey time? ive found it difficult to make friends at this uni but i dont want to have to start over again so im not too worried about it affecting my social life ( i dont drink either so LOL ) and im rather organised so im not too sure it would impact my learning ability?!?! but im not sure 😭 i definitely do hate living in accomodation and i feel so isolated because ive failed to make friends anf uts just not healthy to be upset all the time like this so 😭 i am seriously considering commuting but just want some other viewpoints since im looking atvthis through rose tinted glasses lol
Original post by twicenayeon
Hi - im in first year at roehampton uni and tbh ive hated living in accom, i love london and my course is okay i guess but im seriously considering commuting from home next year. it takes about an hour and 45 minutes from worthing to barnes and just wondering if anyone else commutes with a similar journey time? ive found it difficult to make friends at this uni but i dont want to have to start over again so im not too worried about it affecting my social life ( i dont drink either so LOL ) and im rather organised so im not too sure it would impact my learning ability?!?! but im not sure 😭 i definitely do hate living in accomodation and i feel so isolated because ive failed to make friends anf uts just not healthy to be upset all the time like this so 😭 i am seriously considering commuting but just want some other viewpoints since im looking atvthis through rose tinted glasses lol

Hey!

I'm a commuting student also so hopefully can give some insight! I think commuting is great if you've hated living in accommodation, it definitely helps separate uni/personal life. You can also do uni work on the train/relax after a long day on a long car drive, so there are definitely perks! However, my commute is just over 1 hour and even that sometimes winds me up, especially if you have to get into uni for a certain time (e.g. 9am). You have to consider that your total journey will be 3 and a half hours both ways, which is a significant chunk out of your day. So, it depends on your timetable really. If you're having full days (9-5), commuting will add a lot of time to your uni day and probably exhaust you even more. But, if you do slightly calmer days and not many per week, you'll be fine, so it really depends!

Also, I'd say it's still pretty early days living in accommodation, you've still got the rest of the academic year and things may drastically improve. So maybe don't completely write off accommodation until the end of the year!

Best of luck with everything!
Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Kent
Hey!

I'm a commuting student also so hopefully can give some insight! I think commuting is great if you've hated living in accommodation, it definitely helps separate uni/personal life. You can also do uni work on the train/relax after a long day on a long car drive, so there are definitely perks! However, my commute is just over 1 hour and even that sometimes winds me up, especially if you have to get into uni for a certain time (e.g. 9am). You have to consider that your total journey will be 3 and a half hours both ways, which is a significant chunk out of your day. So, it depends on your timetable really. If you're having full days (9-5), commuting will add a lot of time to your uni day and probably exhaust you even more. But, if you do slightly calmer days and not many per week, you'll be fine, so it really depends!

Also, I'd say it's still pretty early days living in accommodation, you've still got the rest of the academic year and things may drastically improve. So maybe don't completely write off accommodation until the end of the year!

Best of luck with everything!
Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep

Thank you 😭 Ive spoken with my dad and since my uni days are 3 hours and only 3 days a week i think it would be wise finacially too nevause its £9000 to rent but only £4000 to travel LOL ( and i am a train enthusiast so 😞 )
Reply 3
Thank you 😭 Ive spoken with my dad and since my uni days are 3 hours and only 3 days a week i think it would be wise finacially too nevause its £9000 to rent but only £4000 to travel LOL ( and i am a train enthusiast so 😞 )

They might be 3 hours a day and 3 days a week this term, but your timetable won't necessarily be arranged that way next academic year.

Bear in mind that living at home will save you the cost of the accommodation, but it will also mean a reduction in your maintenance loan.

When calculating your length of commute, you need to consider the door-to-door time (i.e. from leaving your house to arriving in your lecture theatre) -- don't just take into account how long you spend on the train.

1 hour 45 minutes each way is likely to be very tiring. I don't think I'd be able to cope with it!
Reply 4
Original post by martin7
They might be 3 hours a day and 3 days a week this term, but your timetable won't necessarily be arranged that way next academic year.

Bear in mind that living at home will save you the cost of the accommodation, but it will also mean a reduction in your maintenance loan.

When calculating your length of commute, you need to consider the door-to-door time (i.e. from leaving your house to arriving in your lecture theatre) -- don't just take into account how long you spend on the train.

1 hour 45 minutes each way is likely to be very tiring. I don't think I'd be able to cope with it!

i get full loan anyway so i wasnt too worried about it olus i work 😭 but im fairly certain my uni only does 3 days a week for mh course since its not too intensive LOL and yeah i used to get the train to college anf ut took me 1 hour 45 from when i left my house to when i got to college even. thoigh theorietically the train ride was only 10 mins so dw im no being too naive i hope 😭 but yeah for a 10 am id leave my house at 6:40 get to uni at 9:40 ish sinve the station is super close to the uni

Hi @twicenayeon,

I am sorry to hear you aren't enjoying living in accommodation. If you do go with the commuting option, I have some information here to help make it as straight forward as possible for you!

Feeling isolated at university is a normal feeling to have, especially in your first year. Something that might help is joining a society, I have linked the RSU website here, there are lots of activities and clubs to join, such as: Anime and Manga Society, Disney Society, Film Society, Gaming Society, Nutrition and Health Society, the list is endless. Societies are led by fellow students and are great for getting involved and meeting lots of new people!

Have you had a look on NEST? Here you can find all things related to student life and support at Roehampton, if you fancy a chat with them, they will be happy to help and point you in the right direction.

I hope the above helps, please feel free to message on here whenever!

Roehampton
Reply 6
is it okay to join a society half way through the year? i wanted to join the law or debate socisty but i had work on those days so i couldnt but ive goy a new job now so 😭
is it okay to join a society half way through the year? i wanted to join the law or debate socisty but i had work on those days so i couldnt but ive goy a new job now so 😭

Yes! You can join a society whenever! Just head over to the RSU Website and click on the society you want to join and enter your details.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending