The Student Room Group

Why would an ex

Why would an ex try to show off on social media after breakup? Ex is now splashing on money he doesn’t have like goes drive a nice car, go on holiday, buy designer stuff when he couldn’t even take me to a nice restaurant or even buy flowers whilst we were together? I’m not hating, good on him if he went rich and live a lavish life now after only a few months. Could it be just a facade to make himself feel like he’s living his best life? What’s the reason behind this behaviour?
Reply 1
Why would an ex care that their ex is allegedly trying to show off on social media after breakup?
Original post by Anonymous
Why would an ex try to show off on social media after breakup? Ex is now splashing on money he doesn’t have like goes drive a nice car, go on holiday, buy designer stuff when he couldn’t even take me to a nice restaurant or even buy flowers whilst we were together? I’m not hating, good on him if he went rich and live a lavish life now after only a few months. Could it be just a facade to make himself feel like he’s living his best life? What’s the reason behind this behaviour?

You are just bitter
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
Why would an ex care that their ex is allegedly trying to show off on social media after breakup?

Because ex owes me money? Which I didn’t expect to get because I know of his financial status whilst we were together.

Original post by A jaded girl
You are just bitter

I’m not bitter, trust me, good on him.
"I'm not bitter", you sound extremely bitter. A bit like a lime, but more bitter. That was a rubbish analogy.

Ultimately, the response here is incredibly simple though I doubt you'll like it. It quite literally doesn't matter. At all. Like not even slightly.

In the grand scheme of the things that matter, this specific thing is so infinitesimally small and irrelevant that if there was a large chart showing all of the things that mattered ranked by importance, this wouldn't even make the chart. It wouldn't even be a footnote. The researchers would encounter it on a rainy Tuesday afternoon and remark to one another about how entirely dull and irrelevant it is before agreeing it was statistically insignificant.

In other words, what I'm trying to say here is that you need to move on. Stop looking at what your ex is posting on social media until you can properly say that you are completely detached, or forever. Whichever's easiest. But don't delude yourself, you wouldn't look if you didn't care.
Reply 5
Original post by Charles III
"I'm not bitter", you sound extremely bitter. A bit like a lime, but more bitter. That was a rubbish analogy.

Ultimately, the response here is incredibly simple though I doubt you'll like it. It quite literally doesn't matter. At all. Like not even slightly.

In the grand scheme of the things that matter, this specific thing is so infinitesimally small and irrelevant that if there was a large chart showing all of the things that mattered ranked by importance, this wouldn't even make the chart. It wouldn't even be a footnote. The researchers would encounter it on a rainy Tuesday afternoon and remark to one another about how entirely dull and irrelevant it is before agreeing it was statistically insignificant.

In other words, what I'm trying to say here is that you need to move on. Stop looking at what your ex is posting on social media until you can properly say that you are completely detached, or forever. Whichever's easiest. But don't delude yourself, you wouldn't look if you didn't care.

I didn’t want to mention it before but we have a child together, he owes me child support which he doesn’t pay, he would rather “enjoy” his “lavish lifestyle” than visit his child. I say I’m not bitter because in reality, he’s the one missing out. I do look at his social media just to see what he’s up to because he keeps lying and giving excuses when I ask him to visit his child.
I didn’t want to mention it before but we have a child together, he owes me child support which he doesn’t pay, he would rather “enjoy” his “lavish lifestyle” than visit his child. I say I’m not bitter because in reality, he’s the one missing out. I do look at his social media just to see what he’s up to because he keeps lying and giving excuses when I ask him to visit his child.

Well of course that's unacceptable and I'm sorry to hear that. I really hope that changes soon. Though I would still strongly recommend that you stop looking at his social media profiles as despite the very unfortunate situation with your child, his social media profiles aren't relevant and are clearly upsetting to you - needlessly so in my opinion. It will just make you angry, but won't change his behaviour - you don't need to do that to yourself. I know that my previous post was quite dismissive but this was more of a tongue-in-cheek thing than anything actually serious, but I am being genuine now.

Though it absolutely doesn't excuse him not financially, emotionally or physically contributing to the care of his child, it very much sounds to me like your child will benefit by not having him feature in their life.
Reply 7

So go through the legal route rather than his social media? The latter isn't achieving anything.
(edited 10 months ago)

Stop moaning on here and contact the relevant people about your child support, it's not difficult is it, you clearly love drama
Reply 9
Stop moaning on here and contact the relevant people about your child support, it's not difficult is it, you clearly love drama

How do I love drama? I think you’re just taking this the wrong way. I have asked in my first post why someone would try to show off on instagram? I’m trying to be empathetic towards my ex, there must be a deeper reason behind someone’s behaviour, perhaps filling a void or emptiness. I am not bitter because I’m not even into superficial materialism and not even chasing after child support money. I don’t know why you sound so triggered? I am not moaning, I have responded to people to give them more context.
How do I love drama? I think you’re just taking this the wrong way. I have asked in my first post why someone would try to show off on instagram? I’m trying to be empathetic towards my ex, there must be a deeper reason behind someone’s behaviour, perhaps filling a void or emptiness. I am not bitter because I’m not even into superficial materialism and not even chasing after child support money. I don’t know why you sound so triggered? I am not moaning, I have responded to people to give them more context.

Or maybe he's just happy with the girl he is with
Reply 11
Or maybe he's just happy with the girl he is with

I think you just like to assume things and not read properly, he’s not with anyone.
I think you just like to assume things and not read properly, he’s not with anyone.

If he can afford designer items and he is in debt to you, go the legal route. You'll learn quickly whether it's a façade or not, you'll (hopefully) reach a suitable conclusion as to what to do from this point onwards regarding your child, and you won't need to spend any more time inferring his life status from his social media accounts.
Take it up with court, your child isn't a toy most men who don't pay are self entitled or act like the victim, the courts will make him pay regardless of if he's seeing the child or not

Probs didn't treasure you enough to care
Make sure you're next partner spoils you there will always be alot who won't want to spend money on current girlfriends but there will always be a couple who value women and will treat them to nice things.
Reply 14
Original post by SagaciousSag
If he can afford designer items and he is in debt to you, go the legal route. You'll learn quickly whether it's a façade or not, you'll (hopefully) reach a suitable conclusion as to what to do from this point onwards regarding your child, and you won't need to spend any more time inferring his life status from his social media accounts.

I’m trying to maintain an amicable relationship with my ex for my child’s sake, I think some things are sometimes best worked out in a civil, amicable way rather than through the courts. If he doesn’t want to pay voluntarily and was forced to pay, I can only imagine what kind of relationship he will have with his child or the enmity I will get. I’m just not too sure if I should take it to court as I want my child to have a healthy relationship with her father regardless wether he pays or not.

It’s really sad that some men can’t pay child support or see their kids on their own accord. Maybe I do need to stop looking at his social media, but I just don’t like being lied to or kept in the dark, like he would say he would visit but never turns up, next thing I know he’s somewhere on the other side of the country.

Take it up with court, your child isn't a toy most men who don't pay are self entitled or act like the victim, the courts will make him pay regardless of if he's seeing the child or not

Probs didn't treasure you enough to care
Make sure you're next partner spoils you there will always be alot who won't want to spend money on current girlfriends but there will always be a couple who value women and will treat them to nice things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending