The Student Room Group

Study psychology without maths requirement in highschool

I am an international student who took 2 years of mathematics in my 4-year high school and I am considering applying to a psychology program at universities. In general, I have the application requirements of universities(like gpa,language...), but I could not find any information about mathematics. Is there a country/university that will approve me with 2 years of mathematics?
In the UK most psychology courses do not explicitly require maths beyond GCSE Maths (which would be 2 years of high school maths). That said there is a fair bit of statistics involved in UK psychology degrees so one does need to be reasonable prepared to continue doing a fair bit of maths...
At least at Lancaster University, if there is no information about mathematics then it is not specifically required for the course.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Original post by Merlinnn33
I am an international student who took 2 years of mathematics in my 4-year high school and I am considering applying to a psychology program at universities. In general, I have the application requirements of universities(like gpa,language...), but I could not find any information about mathematics. Is there a country/university that will approve me with 2 years of mathematics?

I dont know specifically about your country but in the UK most students will have to pass GCSE Maths. The grades vary between university. Bath requires grades 7 for Psychology UWE grade 4. Most RG type universities will require grade 6. I dont know whether you have passed any level in your country. You would need to contact the appropriate university and ask. Psychology is considered a science in the UK and most science courses will need a set level of Maths.
Reply 4
What qualification do you have?
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
What qualification do you have?

I have degrees in competitions related to art and my average is above 95. I have enough language level required by the universities and I attended many courses related to psychology, but unfortunately I did not take mathematics courses in the last 2 years of my high school
Reply 6
Original post by Merlinnn33
I have degrees in competitions related to art and my average is above 95. I have enough language level required by the universities and I attended many courses related to psychology, but unfortunately I did not take mathematics courses in the last 2 years of my high school

Which country are you from?
What is the name of the qualification you have?
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
Which country are you from?
What is the name of the qualification you have?

I'm from Turkey. I am a high school graduate with enough(?) score
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
At least at Lancaster University, if there is no information about mathematics then it is not specifically required for the course.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

So maths is required then at equivalent to GCSE grade 6
59BFB232-4BD4-48EA-AF31-32978A0DC40A.jpeg
Reply 9
Examples of entry requirements for Psychology with Lise Bitirme Diplomasi :

University of Bath - CGPA of 85% with 85% in a mathematics, science or social subject from the final year. You must also achieve 75% in Mathematics from any year.

University of Sussex - Lise Diplomasi or Lise Bitirme, with a score of at least 4/5 or 80/100 in your final year. You must have a good level of Mathematics.

University of Liverpool - Lise Diplomasi with a minimum score of 75% from approved schools or scores of 4/5 with minimum scores in key subjects.

Its worth contact individual Unis with details of your Turkish results to see if they would accept you.

Quick Reply

Latest