The Student Room Group

Mental health

Hi guys so I have special needs which global development delay. I’m 26 and based on my condition ive managed to overcome my difficulties by achieving a BA and masters during my time university. I have now got jobs which is really good for me. However my family still treats me like special needs person.

I come to a point there I can have full control off my own life just because I have that condition and really frustrates me and ****es me off to the point i want to talk to them about it to stop trying me the way. Is there anyway to approach this as I know confronting them about it is really difficult for me.
Reply 1
It is very difficult to make your family stop treating you a certain way because they are used to it.
I am proud of you for achieving whatever it is you wanted.
I think communication is the best way to let them know that you don't like the way they treat you. I mean if they don't know that they are wrong, how will they change it.
Instead of confronting, you can have a nice discussion or conversation with you family.
If you feel like that is too much, maybe write your thoughts down in a letter or message or email and send it to them.
Reply 2
Original post by Astrocomp
It is very difficult to make your family stop treating you a certain way because they are used to it.
I am proud of you for achieving whatever it is you wanted.
I think communication is the best way to let them know that you don't like the way they treat you. I mean if they don't know that they are wrong, how will they change it.
Instead of confronting, you can have a nice discussion or conversation with you family.
If you feel like that is too much, maybe write your thoughts down in a letter or message or email and send it to them.

Thank you for the reply I will try and write an email about it as it seems rather difficult for me in person even I’ve sort off mentioned can you stop treating my like a special needs person even though I have the condition I’m pretty smart in general. The condition I have It’s called Global development delay.

But therefore even when I have the condition I still should be allowed to live my own life in which I will it’s just hard to find a job in the city and get a flat or house share now a days. But it won’t stop me in achieving my life goals. It needs to end I won’t allow it even though it takes some confidence in confronting it about it.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for the reply I will try and write an email about it as it seems rather difficult for me in person even I’ve sort off mentioned can you stop treating my like a special needs person even though I have the condition I’m pretty smart in general. The condition I have It’s called Global development delay.

But therefore even when I have the condition I still should be allowed to live my own life in which I will it’s just hard to find a job in the city and get a flat or house share now a days. But it won’t stop me in achieving my life goals. It needs to end I won’t allow it even though it takes some confidence in confronting it about it.

I am glad that you found it useful.
I agree that you have a right to live your life your way.
It might come from a place of good, but that doesn't mean our family knows what's best for us or what the right thing to do is.
True, it is difficult to get a job or house these days. It's just so competitive and saturated.
But I believe you will be able to achieve it and you are already taking charge of your life by defining how you want to be treated.
Keep it up!!
Let me know how it went if that's something you want to share😊

Quick Reply

Latest