The Student Room Group

Wanting to study astronomy, but suffering with dyscalculia.

Never posted on these forums lol, but I want to get this out there.

I've been struggling with undiagnosed dyscalculia my entire life, I didn't even know this was a condition until this year lmao. Maths has always been my worst and hardest subject to study, despite WANTING to learn it and WANTING to figure it out, I never got the help I needed. I was only told to stop perusing maths from the teachers around me and focus on art, a subject which I excel at, but have no drive for. It doesn't help my math teachers were horrible to their students, often shunning them for asking questions, and preferring to leave us with a massive textbook until the period is up. (And it truly shows when even the smartest kids in school failed. In fact, I'd say 70% of our year didn't pass maths at any level during 2022.)

But I have a STRONG passion for astronomy and physics, I dedicate every free second to studying it. And it truly breaks my heart knowing the odds that I'll never have a good chance of going into a professional career in astronomy. I just want to be good at maths. I WANT to learn it, I want to be able to achieve my life goals and actually be happy with my life, instead of staying depressed doing animation. I don't know what to do or where to start, I feel like I'm a lost cause or just not cut out for the field, even though I know so strongly that's where I want to be.

Does anyone have advice for someone who barely passed N4 maths?? Can someone give me advice on how to start learning maths, or even relearning it, with dyscalculia?
Reply 1
any particular reason you haven't sought a formal diagnosis?

Quick Reply

Latest