The Student Room Group

A level Biology

I started to take interest into a level biology recently to pick as a course, are there any tips for the AQA or Edexcel exam board for how to approach it, what to do during the summer holidays and how to succeed in it? Thanks!
Don't do AQA they have one exam which is a 25 marker - that's a single essay on ONE question, you don't get to pick between multiple, there's only one choice. If you mess this one question up then you will get a bad grade... SO DON'T DO AQA!!!

Edexcel is better (also slightly lower ~5% 2022 grade boundaries) - there's Edexcel A which is more human health orientated and Edexcel B (I don't know what this is like but I'm guessing more biology in general related)

For the summer, consolidate on GCSE knowledge bcos A level just builds on that and teachers usually won't go through basics taught in GCSE again. Also buy revision guides/ flashcards/ textbooks early so you can revise throughout year 12.

TBH I do OCR A and in my opinion its the best as it follows really closely to the GCSE edexcel with a few new topics here and there
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by toothysmile
Don't do AQA they have one exam which is a 25 marker - that's a single essay on ONE question, you don't get to pick between multiple, there's only one choice. If you mess this one question up then you will get a bad grade... SO DON'T DO AQA!!!

Edexcel is better (also slightly lower ~5% 2022 grade boundaries) - there's Edexcel A which is more human health orientated and Edexcel B (I don't know what this is like but I'm guessing more biology in general related)

For the summer, consolidate on GCSE knowledge bcos A level just builds on that and teachers usually won't go through basics taught in GCSE again. Also buy revision guides/ flashcards/ textbooks early so you can revise throughout year 12.

TBH I do OCR A and in my opinion its the best as it follows really closely to the GCSE edexcel with a few new topics here and there

Is AQA really that bad because either way I will want to do bio but I don’t know much about the different exam boards. How would you say OCR is and any revision tips or anything?
Original post by toothysmile

this is wrong in AQA you have 3 exam the third one with the essay which is the one you are talking about, is 78 marks in total not 25 it is not just the essay there are other questions as well in paper 3, you dont have only one title, you are given 2 titles and you choose one, the essay isnt like a propere essay like in english, you simply have to write 4 topics, just write the main thing you have memorised about the topic during the year and in the end of the paragraph you relate it to the title. but overall you are correcct that AQA would probably be harder, I dont know baout any other exam boards, but mark scheme is very strict for AQA but grade boundaries do also tend to be lower as well an A is like 150/260 on average, I dont know about other exam boards

Quick Reply

Latest