The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Failing a module

Hi guys just trying to seek some advice on behalf of my fiancé so please bare with me, it is a bit long.
My other half in the her first year at uni and she basically passed all her exams, all her mock exams also but she failed her main practical exam. She then took a resit and failed again, then was told she would have to resit the module and won’t be able to continue to hear too. I understand this is standard practice by most universities, which is fine. The course leader however, she gave the other 5 students that also retook the exam the second time a conditional pass and they can move on to year 2. There was a student who miss sessions, failed every single mock exam but was given a condition pass and was told he would be given extra sessions to help him along the way before he see patience in October 2023. My question is, why was this not offered to her also? Why was the other 5 students given conditional passes but she wasn’t. Also she was told they had new teeth for their second reassessment but that was a lie as the other 5 students also said they had their old teeth because they know the scratch pattern, one student had a tooth popping out in the usual spot etc. student have been using their teeth for a while and they know it like the back of their hands, so the tutor also lied about that.
I will stop rambling on but there’s a lot more to this story. What do you guys think?
Original post by O godson
Hi guys just trying to seek some advice on behalf of my fiancé so please bare with me, it is a bit long.
My other half in the her first year at uni and she basically passed all her exams, all her mock exams also but she failed her main practical exam. She then took a resit and failed again, then was told she would have to resit the module and won’t be able to continue to hear too. I understand this is standard practice by most universities, which is fine. The course leader however, she gave the other 5 students that also retook the exam the second time a conditional pass and they can move on to year 2. There was a student who miss sessions, failed every single mock exam but was given a condition pass and was told he would be given extra sessions to help him along the way before he see patience in October 2023. My question is, why was this not offered to her also? Why was the other 5 students given conditional passes but she wasn’t. Also she was told they had new teeth for their second reassessment but that was a lie as the other 5 students also said they had their old teeth because they know the scratch pattern, one student had a tooth popping out in the usual spot etc. student have been using their teeth for a while and they know it like the back of their hands, so the tutor also lied about that.
I will stop rambling on but there’s a lot more to this story. What do you guys think?

You cannot directly compare what students A and B are allowed to do for retakes without knowing the _full_ back story of everyone. Some students may have well documented medical or other problems which they have highlighted in advance to the university, some may just fail without any mitigating circumstances. That can result in different requirements for progression or full credit versus a capped resit.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending