The Student Room Group

Failing a university module but passing all the others

What happens if you fail a module in your university course but pass all the others? Do you have to retake the entire module in the next year of your course alongside all the new modules you will be studying for that year?
The outcome of a module depends on a few different factors; if you fail a module, you may be offered to resit it for a capped mark in the supplementary period (dependent on circumstances).

You may also be asked to repeat the year internally (whole year) or external (just the module) dependent on the outcome but is severely dependent upon how your university deals with such matters.

I ‘failed’ a module but resat the module uncapped (due to illness during original sitting) & passed it then with a first.

You wouldn’t be allowed to progress to the next year without meeting requirements but it most likely wouldn’t be an outright fail, fail at first.

Talk to your tutor if you’re super worried they’ll be able to help :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Evan2002
What happens if you fail a module in your university course but pass all the others? Do you have to retake the entire module in the next year of your course alongside all the new modules you will be studying for that year?

It will depend on your university's regulations.

You'll normally be allowed to resit the assessment in the summer reassessment period. The assessment might not necessarily be in the same format as the original one. That reassessment will normally be capped at the bare pass mark (typically 40%) unless there was some extenuating reason why you failed first time round (e.g. you missed the exam because you were ill).

If you fail that reassessment (and it's only one module that you failed) then you might be allowed to take that module again in the following year on top of the normal course load for that year. But if you fail that unit again, then the university might not even look at the marks for the other modules -- they will probably require you to withdraw and treat you as having failed the previous year. Or the university could make you retake the failed module in the next year, effectively as a part-time student, and you'd then rejoin the course the year after.

If you only just fail in the first assessment, or in the reassessment, the regulations might allow the university to "condone" the fail -- i.e. award you the credit even though you technically didn't meet the required standard. That would allow you to progress to the following year.

So, there's a lot of different options that may be available to the university -- it will depend on what the regulations say, whether you have extenuating circumstances, how badly you fail, how relevant the failed module is to the rest of your course, etc.
Hello everybody,

I have failed one module at university of east London M.Arch part 7 postgraduate degree. But the problem is my visa expires in 19 sept 2023. What should I do??
Please advice me can I extend my student visa and finish that module as I have paid full amount of fees to the university.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hello everybody,

I have failed one module at university of east London M.Arch part 7 postgraduate degree. But the problem is my visa expires in 19 sept 2023. What should I do??
Please advice me can I extend my student visa and finish that module as I have paid full amount of fees to the university.

You should contact UEL's International Student Advice service. They are qualified to advise you; we are not.

See https://uel.ac.uk/international/visa-immigration-advice
Depends on how badly you fail if it’s just a little off like let’s say 39% you might get it compensated provided you have good marks in your other units. At my uni you only had to resit the parts you failed so if it’s the course work you failed then you would get a make up assignment if it’s the exam you’d have a resit if you failed then you’d have to do it the next year.
hi, if I may ask, what uni are u in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending