The Student Room Group

Failed 2 out of 5 modules?

So I’m just finishing first year studying psychology at the university of Greenwich and I’ve failed 2 out of 5 modules due to submitting late, 2 assignments not submitted at all and getting a fail in one exam for submitting the answers on the wrong sheet of paper (silly me I know), I’m positive resits will be enough for me to pass everything, but are the uni likely to deny me of resits and automatically make me repeat the year? I’m stressing

TIA
Original post by lifestartsnow.x
So I’m just finishing first year studying psychology at the university of Greenwich and I’ve failed 2 out of 5 modules due to submitting late, 2 assignments not submitted at all and getting a fail in one exam for submitting the answers on the wrong sheet of paper (silly me I know), I’m positive resits will be enough for me to pass everything, but are the uni likely to deny me of resits and automatically make me repeat the year? I’m stressing

TIA

You should probably take a read of University of Greenwich's Academic Regulations For Taught Awards, here.

How many credits was each failed unit worth? What mark did you get in each of the two failed units? What is you average mark across all five modules?

Those three questions are important because the regulations say that:

"D5.13 Where a student’s work has been graded on the numerical scale and the overall module grade falls up to 10% below the minimum module pass mark, the Progression and Award Board may apply compensation for that failure."

(Compensation is the process where they effectively turn a blind eye to a module failure, and treat it as a pass without changing the mark). However, there are some caveats:

"For modules at levels 3, 4, 5 and 6 compensation up to 30 credits may be applied where:
(a) An average grade of 40% or more has been achieved across ALL modules at that stage; and
(b) The grade for that module does not fall below 30%;"

Even if your two failed modules exceed the 30 credits mentioned above, compensation can still apply because this is first year:

"D5.11 In consideration of a student’s profile, the Progression and Award Board will apply its discretion in the following manner:
a) Undergraduate Degree programmes:
At Stage One compensation may be applied up to a maximum of 30 credits regardless of the amount of credit failure. Reassessment may also be permitted in addition to compensated modules."

So they could use compensation to cover one module and then use reassessment for the other. These two regulations would be applicable for the reassessment:

"D8.1 Where a module has been failed and where compensation has not or cannot be applied, the Progression and Award Board will take into account the degree of failure on the student’s profile to determine the manner and timing of reassessment."

"D8.4 Where the Progression and Award Board has determined that the student is given the opportunity to resit failed modules (all or some elements of assessment), reassessment will normally be permitted prior to the commencement of the student’s next academic stage of study."

All of the above means it's very unlikely that they'll make you retake the year.
Reply 2
The uni will allow you to resit all your failed modules but if you fail any of the resits they can [a] kick you off the course ask you to resit the year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending