The Student Room Group

UK graduate student finding job

Hey, I am Italian, but I have lived in the UK for 12 years now. I am in university now, and I wanted to know how it works to find a job as I am an EU citizen but lives in the UK. I want to know how to find work in Europe and other places such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand (I know it is more difficult with the visa and other things, but it is worth a shot.

I tried to find some information online but didn't find anything useful. I will start my second year this September, but I want to get the information beforehand to know what to do when I graduate. Plus, I am not a UK citizen as I don't hold a British Passport, just my Italian one.

Thank you
Original post by kate_bechett02
Hey, I am Italian, but I have lived in the UK for 12 years now. I am in university now, and I wanted to know how it works to find a job as I am an EU citizen but lives in the UK. I want to know how to find work in Europe and other places such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand (I know it is more difficult with the visa and other things, but it is worth a shot.

I tried to find some information online but didn't find anything useful. I will start my second year this September, but I want to get the information beforehand to know what to do when I graduate. Plus, I am not a UK citizen as I don't hold a British Passport, just my Italian one.

Thank you

You say you "want to know how to find work in Europe and other places such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand". Is the UK one of the places you might be interested in working? (It's not clear whether you're including the UK within "Europe" or not.)

If so, do you have the right to work in the UK? Have you applied to the EU Settlement Scheme?

Have you read Understanding your right to work in the UK: EU, EEA and Swiss citizens? It's probably a good place to start.

Without the right to work here, understanding how to find a job would seem fairly pointless.
I am not including the UK in Europe (the UK is not anymore in the EU due to Brexit). I want to find work outside the UK if possible.
And yes, I have the right to work in the UK as I have the EU Settlement Scheme.
Original post by DataVenia
You say you "want to know how to find work in Europe and other places such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand". Is the UK one of the places you might be interested in working? (It's not clear whether you're including the UK within "Europe" or not.)

If so, do you have the right to work in the UK? Have you applied to the EU Settlement Scheme?

Have you read Understanding your right to work in the UK: EU, EEA and Swiss citizens? It's probably a good place to start.

Without the right to work here, understanding how to find a job would seem fairly pointless.
Original post by kate_bechett02
I am not including the UK in Europe (the UK is not anymore in the EU due to Brexit).

Agreed. But you didn't say "EU", which is clear and precise. You said "Europe", which is ambiguous. Hence why I qualified what you meant. :smile:

I have no knowledge of how to search for work outside the UK, so will leave it to others to offer advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending