The Student Room Group

Should I take a gap year?

I’m really debating if i should take a gap year or not. Haven’t received an offer from my top choice yet, however if I do i was thinking of deferring it and if I don’t i was thinking of reapplying. The acceptance rate is 10%, and obviously deferred entry would be more secure but the chances are obviously not the highest. I’ve seen so much stuff about gap years being the best decision but i’m just worried about feeling like i’ve made a mistake as from now i’d have to wait a year and a half to go to uni. I’ve had in my mind for the past two years that I’d just go straight to uni and i was really excited for it, however am really not sure on what to do now. I do have a plan of what I would do on a gap year, however I do feel I was excited to become independent after year 13, and am worried staying at home for another year will lower my excitement for uni when I do actually go? I don’t think i’d be lonely on my gap year, as my twin is thinking of taking one too as she didn’t get into her top choice, which is the same as mine. Is it unrealistic to take a gap year and move out to live somewhere else? Is it even worth it then due to paying for rent etc. Any advice would be so helpful! (also any tips for what to do on a gap year in case i do decide to do one)
Reply 1
Original post by daisily
I’m really debating if i should take a gap year or not. Haven’t received an offer from my top choice yet, however if I do i was thinking of deferring it and if I don’t i was thinking of reapplying. The acceptance rate is 10%, and obviously deferred entry would be more secure but the chances are obviously not the highest. I’ve seen so much stuff about gap years being the best decision but i’m just worried about feeling like i’ve made a mistake as from now i’d have to wait a year and a half to go to uni. I’ve had in my mind for the past two years that I’d just go straight to uni and i was really excited for it, however am really not sure on what to do now. I do have a plan of what I would do on a gap year, however I do feel I was excited to become independent after year 13, and am worried staying at home for another year will lower my excitement for uni when I do actually go? I don’t think i’d be lonely on my gap year, as my twin is thinking of taking one too as she didn’t get into her top choice, which is the same as mine. Is it unrealistic to take a gap year and move out to live somewhere else? Is it even worth it then due to paying for rent etc. Any advice would be so helpful! (also any tips for what to do on a gap year in case i do decide to do one)

Honestly, do whatever will make you happy in the moment. if you truly want to study, university wont disappear in the year that you take out! I am just coming to the end of my gap year and i went travelling with my boyfriend and experienced full time work for the first time which taught me A LOT that i wouldn't have learnt if i had gone to uni straight away. Im starting uni in september and i am just as excited. It all depends where you wanna go too, rent prices vary greatly but you could always rent a room in a new area for a few months instead of paying for a full flat if you think money will be an issue?

My main event of my gap year was going travelling in Europe for a month like i mentioned, i saw some amazing things and it was my first time having some independence as i was away from home and fending for myself! Europe is a bit expensive so if you want something cheaper maybe look to other places but that is also a good way of having fun whilst gaining independence and not having to rent a flat somewhere, hope my ramble has helped!
Reply 2
Original post by Gabbiey
Honestly, do whatever will make you happy in the moment. if you truly want to study, university wont disappear in the year that you take out! I am just coming to the end of my gap year and i went travelling with my boyfriend and experienced full time work for the first time which taught me A LOT that i wouldn't have learnt if i had gone to uni straight away. Im starting uni in september and i am just as excited. It all depends where you wanna go too, rent prices vary greatly but you could always rent a room in a new area for a few months instead of paying for a full flat if you think money will be an issue?
My main event of my gap year was going travelling in Europe for a month like i mentioned, i saw some amazing things and it was my first time having some independence as i was away from home and fending for myself! Europe is a bit expensive so if you want something cheaper maybe look to other places but that is also a good way of having fun whilst gaining independence and not having to rent a flat somewhere, hope my ramble has helped!

thank you so much this is so helpful! i’m worried i’ll get bored during a gap year and wish i just went straight to uni. i have lots of things planned but a year and a half from now is a long time, how did you find that part?
Reply 3
Original post by daisily
thank you so much this is so helpful! i’m worried i’ll get bored during a gap year and wish i just went straight to uni. i have lots of things planned but a year and a half from now is a long time, how did you find that part?

I think my situation is a bit different because ive had the whopping task of moving out with my boyfriend before Uni to take up months of my time haha, so since february ive been preoccupied with that so i havent had time to get bored! What i did was make a list of stuff you can do for each season, as soon as it gets more rainy and miserable people dont know what to do with themselves since going out isnt a great option so have stuff to do for every circumstance! And always think of backup options (eg. volounteering, a second job, etc.) and also pace yourself, dont try to do everything at once but one or two things a week so you can spread it across the year.

I also found taking a gap year very helpful in finding myself if that makes sense, journaling is a cool idea and giving yourself some goals (eg. i really focused on optimism and living in the moment as that is my main issue with anxiety) and that can take up a lot of your time and beneficial!!
Hope its been helpful!
Reply 4
Original post by daisily

For what it is worth, the university and the opportunity to learn will be there for the rest of your life. The opportunity to travel and explore will not. There will come a time when you settle down and get a mortgage / cats / children / partners and at that point any idea that you might be free is lost. So take a gap year or several now. You won't be missing out on anything and more importantly you will spend some time figuring out who you are and what you actually want in life. You think you want to go to university right now, but frankly that is based on a life experience of having only been to school and / or college. Go and see the world and discover who you are. That university will still be there when you get home.

Good luck!
Reply 5
I took a four-year gap. I learned a terrible lot about the world. I was a good-for-nothing lazy worthless student when I left school. But life changed my attitude, and I worked my butt off at university. My whole life took a different turn - I had no future before, but after, it was limitless. The bottom line is, is the fire to learn ignited? If not, get a bit of life experience.

Quick Reply

Latest