The Student Room Group

SPSS in Psychology

Hello!

I was just in the middle of deciding what laptop to get for university and it is my understanding that psychology courses require the SPSS statistics programme.

I wanted to ask if someone could get by just running these programmes on the uni library computers or if you'd have to use the programme so often that it would be a hassle not to have it on your own computer.
Original post by pHant0m_
Hello!

I was just in the middle of deciding what laptop to get for university and it is my understanding that psychology courses require the SPSS statistics programme.

I wanted to ask if someone could get by just running these programmes on the uni library computers or if you'd have to use the programme so often that it would be a hassle not to have it on your own computer.

I didn't do a degree in psychology, but you would only use SPSS for specific modules (usually 2 or 3). The rest of the time, you're reading up on psychology studies and book material. This could mean that you wouldn't be spending more than 20 hours during the course of your entire degree on the software, and this could mean 3-4 months out of the entire 3 years.

The particular modules that would be using SPSS are those in statistics and for your dissertation (if you are applying for a course that has one).

The student edition of SPSS isn't that particularly demanding in terms of what it needs from your computer. Most laptops and computers are fine running the software. Unless you are handling gigantic datasets that includes thousands of entries or require calculations so complicated and intensive that they would even crash Excel, you're generally fine with an ordinary laptop.
If you don't have a laptop, you can use the computers at the university; every computer at your uni library should have a copy of the software on them.

Whether you want a copy of SPSS on your laptop is up to you. I personally like to because it saves me going to the uni every time I want to run a few tests.
Original post by pHant0m_
Hello!

Hello!
I'm one of the student ambassadors here at Coventry University!
I study Psychology BSc and have completed a statistics module. I'm going into third year and only had to use SPSS twice in the two years, therefore it's not as common to use it as others may think.
I feel as though realistically you get get by with just heading to the library and doing your work there, however usually the SPSS programmes are quite easy to install if you'd prefer, because going to the library may become a hassle especially if you need to make any adjustments to your data, you also need spss to access the dataset once you've carried out the analysis.

Overall I'd recommend getting the software on your laptop, because of stated above. The student version of SPSS doesn't take much to run and again you need the software to analyse the data once you've carried out your analysis.

Again this is all down to personal preference, and you do what you believe is best for you!

Kind regards,
Courtney H

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending