The Student Room Group

What is a workshop?

Currently studying Criminology, and have a workshop coming up. What does this look like / entail? Is it a mixture between a seminar and a lecture?
Original post by Anonymous
Currently studying Criminology, and have a workshop coming up. What does this look like / entail? Is it a mixture between a seminar and a lecture?

Hello,

From my experience at university, workshops are genrally practical sessions. I am a Psychology student and my workshops generally involved working on Essential Skills on computers as well as computer programmes such as SPSS. I would describe workshops as more smaller group sessions where you can practice practical skills as well as ask questions.

I am sure your teacher will gave you proper guidance, nothing to worry about :smile:

Katie - Third year Psychology student

Hi!
In my experience a workshop shares a lot more similarities with a seminar than a lecture but tends to be more hands on. Your teachers will explain if any extra/different preparation is necessary.

Hope this helps! Faye :smile:

Hi there,

Workshops are classes which are typically smaller than lectures (sometimes the size of seminars, sometimes bigger depending on your subject), and they allow for more active student participation and interaction. This can be a great way for students to learn from each other and to comfortably ask questions to the teacher without the pressure that some might find in lectures!

The work you do depends on your differenct subjects, but I'd imagine your workshop might entail some computer work - or as I said earlier, definitely some more practical work :biggrin:.

Hope this helps!

Warm regards,

David :smile:
University of Kent Representative

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending