The Student Room Group

Psychology degree

I want to study psychology in uni I have average gsces grades 5-6 but i have a 4 in maths. When I have looked an uni it is bit difficult. I have seen I can go to some university in Scotland like uni of Stirling or university of Exeter do you have any more recommendations?What university would take me with my current grades?
Also I am predicted a D*D A so A*AA for my alevels. I do health and social btec and psychology alevel.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by studentofdelaw
I want to study psychology in uni I have average gsces grades 5-6 but i have a 4 in maths. When I have looked an uni it is bit difficult. I have seen I can go to some university in Scotland like uni of Stirling or university of Exeter do you have any more recommendations?What university would take me with my current grades?
Also I am predicted a D*D A so A*AA for my alevels. I do health and social btec and psychology alevel.

I want to study psychology in uni I have average gsces grades 5-6 but i have a 4 in maths. When I have looked an uni it is bit difficult
Not sure why you think your GCSE grades are that relevant. Whilst getting a 4 in maths is not ideal, psychology is no a maths heavy course i.e. most maths in the course is not above GCSE (most of it is stats). If you want a stats book for psychology, then I recommend: Schaum's Outline of Statistics in Psychology by Larry Stephens ; Publisher: McGraw-Hill Education - Europe ; ISBN: 9780071545990

I didn't do a psychology degree, so I wouldn't make any recommendations.

Psychology degrees tend to accept candidates with any subjects so long you get the grades. Those that are picky would be asking for either biology or psychology A Level. If the uni accepts BTECs, then you're fine irrespective.

I would check that the degree you want is accredited by the BPS, otherwise you would need to do extra qualifications unnecessarily to go into the psychology field. See: https://portal.bps.org.uk/Accredited-Courses

Hi @studentofdelaw

I am a Third year Psychology student at Edge Hill Uni and the typical requirements for Edge Hill are 112-120 UCAS points which you will defiantly be over with your predicted grades and a Grade 4 and above in GCSE Maths and English :smile: The course is also accredited by the BPS and I have really enjoyed it so far!

Here is some more information about the course and you cna also chat to current Psychology students 1-1 on the Ambassador platform if you'd like to.

I hope this helps,
Katie - Third year Psychology student
(edited 6 months ago)

Hi! Your predicted A Level grades should mean that you are eligible for a large proportion of psychology BSc programmes in the UK. Whilst psychology is not a specifically maths heavy subject, it does involve a fair amount of statistics (due to BPS requirements). For example, at Lancaster University we do 2 statistics modules in first year and 2 in second year, as well as using that knowledge in other modules such as research methods. These skills are also used in your 3rd year project. The way that stats is taught will differ at every university, but it is common for it to be taught largely through coding using languages such as RStudio, SPSS, or python. This means that less 'maths' knowledge is required, its more an understanding of statistics.
A lot of universities will set minimum GCSE math grades due to the high amount of statistics, often a grade 5 or 6. However, lower grades may be taken into account on a case by case basis. This means that you would have to prove that you do have the mathematical ability to complete the course. This will differ at every university. I recommend getting in touch with the admissions office or psychology department at your top uni choices and seeing what they say.
Good luck with all your applications!
-Kat (2nd year psychology student, Lancaster University)

Quick Reply

Latest